Customs in South Texas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilotdak

We are returning from Cabo to Florida and wondering if one custom operation is better than another in south east Texas? We are planning Corpus but can change. Thanks for any input.

I've used LRD several times. Always a good stop. FBO comes over to Customs too...brings fuel, catering, whatever. I've heard Del Rio is good as well, but have never used it.

Just went through LRD, and had a good experience. The FBO is awesome and came over with fuel, etc..Pretty quick overall.

Watch out in Laredo, it can be hit and miss. Laredo is my least favorite customs in the US next to FXE. That's just me though. I have noticed the night shift is way smoother than the day shift. FWIW.

KBRO very easy and lots of ramp space. KMFE you gotta taxi to Customs, then taxi to FBO.

KBRO is fast in and out, no issues. FBO "Southmost" (my preferred FBO at BRO) is at base of tower and will tug the plane 50 yards to their FBO when you get done with Customs.

KLRD is hit/miss and you gotta taxi over to the otherside of airport to FBO when done. You park the plane near an airline gate, usually some mall/airport security guard who thinks he is a flag-man, and half the time Customs gets p1ssed because you are not exactly in the correct spot.

Customs at KCRP is not a permanent "airport office" and the inspectors have to come from inspecting ships, etc to check you. If you land when a big oil tanker from China arrived, well, that will blow.

Last edited:
I've cleared everywhere on the Texas border and I would have to say that BRO is the best overall choice...

Problem with LRD is if you want to take a dump or surf the internet or sit in the lounge and just chill out for a minute you gotta physically go to the FBO. There is no where to do that in LRD unless you taxi to the FBO.

Maybe I am lazy but the last thing after a long X-C that I want to do is re-light the engines and taxi across an airport only to shut down again.

Cleared in BRO and it was ok. There was an MD87 just finishing so they had most of the ramp taken up and BAC was busy with them. Took all the bags off and put them on the curb next to the building, figuring on taking them in, and the inspectors came out and opened them there. Could have done it by the plane because there are no carts available. The agents were friendly and thorough but overall a good experience. BAC fueled us right on the ramp,which was nice. All in all about a 35 minute stop.

Cleared in BRO and it was ok. There was an MD87 just finishing so they had most of the ramp taken up and BAC was busy with them. Took all the bags off and put them on the curb next to the building, figuring on taking them in, and the inspectors came out and opened them there. Could have done it by the plane because there are no carts available. The agents were friendly and thorough but overall a good experience. BAC fueled us right on the ramp,which was nice. All in all about a 35 minute stop.

Glad it all worked out !

Latest resources

Back