Tucson, Arizona
Sacramento, California
Palm Springs, California
Denver, Colorado
Fresno, California
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Chicago, Illinois
Salt Lake City, Utah

Close enough on the EMB side... Actually, last few classes have had people assigned to SFO, and they promptly transfer out at first opportunity. It just depends on where everyone more senior to you would like to be at that particular moment. Realistically, right now you could get just about anything within a few months. The problem with PDX and DEN is that they are small bases in popular/easily commutable locations, and particularly for PDX, those that go there tend to stay there, either as FO's or as CA's. Half of DEN has been hired since March, so if they don't lift the seat lock, once the remaining guys transition, it could stagnate. The poster who recommended FAT and SLC is right on the money; if you want to hold a line pretty quickly, go there first. Of course, this business changes so quickly, this time last year we were hiring like wildfire, and things slammed to a screeching halt for a good six months, no transitions, no transfers, no nothing. The best advice is to be patient, be flexible, and find a way to enjoy where you're based (flying on the west coast is a hundred times more interesting than the five-city circuit out here in DEN).

I am sure this has been asked before, but do the crews out of SLC and DEN only fly there? Do they ever do any flying in CA? If not, what are the lines like? 1, 2, 3 or 4 days?
Is it borning only going to those 7 or 9 airports all the time?

For those of you who fly out of PSP: where do you live? I have heard a rumor that they might allow a 2 hr reserve call out instead of 1.5 which would make living further away from PSP ok. Any idea of how long new hires have been on reserve at the junior bases vs. senior bases?

Thanks

What does it take to get a call from skywest? Ive applied in every format every three months or so and Im going on week number 53 without hearing anything. Do they only hire CFI's?

Hootie9750 said:
What does it take to get a call from skywest? Ive applied in every format every three months or so and Im going on week number 53 without hearing anything. Do they only hire CFI's?

There have been no less than 6-7 group interviews, SLC, DEN, LAX, MEM, CHI, STL. Most of the interviews have been scheduled from these. If you don't have someone to walk in your stuff, and you haven't been to one of these group interviews, you'll probably be waiting another 53 weeks.

W

Jay79 said:
I am sure this has been asked before, but do the crews out of SLC and DEN only fly there? Do they ever do any flying in CA? If not, what are the lines like? 1, 2, 3 or 4 days?
Is it borning only going to those 7 or 9 airports all the time?

For those of you who fly out of PSP: where do you live? I have heard a rumor that they might allow a 2 hr reserve call out instead of 1.5 which would make living further away from PSP ok. Any idea of how long new hires have been on reserve at the junior bases vs. senior bases?

Thanks

I have heard that occasionally SLC pilots may flow though SGU to the LA area, and vice-versa. DEN pilots do not fly out of the Denver system. The only common city it has with the SLC EMB system is Casper. Yes, it can get a little monotonous after a few months. "Lines" don't exist anymore now that PBS has been implemented system-wide. You build a schedule from a list of pairings that range from locals to four days. The only set lines are the reserve ones.

New hires in FAT will probably hold some kind of line right off the bat. In fact, you will do more flying than you probably want to because they are still shorthanded in FAT. As I said before, other bases depend on where those senior to you would like to be. Since PSP, SBA, SBP are pretty expensive, and SBA and SBP are local trips only, a lot of newhires tend move elsewhere.

Your rumor about the 2-hour reserve callout in PSP is just that, a rumor. They've been rumored to be establishing that for DEN for at least a year, and yet they have not.

Thanks for the reply Spicepilots.

If you go to a group interview, meet the minimums and do a relatively descent job and have a bit of personality, you will get a real interview in SLC. This is by far the easiest way to get a chance at an interview.

Jay79 said:
For those of you who fly out of PSP: where do you live? I have heard a rumor that they might allow a 2 hr reserve call out instead of 1.5 which would make living further away from PSP ok.
Thanks

Most of the people based in PSP live in either San Diego or L.A. or somewhere not near palm springs. It's about a 1.5 hour to 2 hour drive depending on where you live. There are plenty of cheap places to rent in PSP while you're on reserve. Even with a 2 hour call out, it'd be pretty risky to live in L.A. or san diego. Maybe Moreno Valley or hemet........those are about an hour's drive away.

Hootie9750 said:

Try mailing a resume and cover letter to SGU...I was in the same boat until then. Never had the opportunity to go to a G.I., but I was called 7 biz days after I dropped the resume/cover letter in the mail...

But then again, I am a CFI :)

Latest resources

Back