• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Curious about Eclipse Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You mean they ware actually going to pay their pilots? That such a cool plane I'd be willing to pay them. Maybe they'll let me do it for free, that way everyone is happy...

Put on your flame-retardant RamDaddy... it's coming...

No idea, the truth of the matter is it'll probably be just a bunch of owner/operators, and I can't imagine the pay would be anything to switch jobs for. There will be some smaller companies that buy them, who previously couldn't justify the costs of a corporate aircraft, but that remains to be seen exactly how big of a market that turns out to be.

Problem is, they're building these airplanes so that ANYONE can fly them. And I assume that'll be a hot-bed market for low time guys who'll be willing to do it for next to nothing - therefore killing any kind of decent salary that could be made flying it.

The new Dr. and Lawyer killer...

Now unfortunately, you will have these guys who cannot stay ahead of their A36's and B58's killing themselves at 3 times the speed. Are these things going to be RVSM compliant?

While I like the concept, I think that there will be a lot of fatalities due to low time pilots not staying current on the aircraft let alone flying it enough to know the aircraft.

I do hope that I am wrong though.

Fly Safe.

User997 said:

No idea, the truth of the matter is it'll probably be just a bunch of owner/operators, and I can't imagine the pay would be anything to switch jobs for. There will be some smaller companies that buy them, who previously couldn't justify the costs of a corporate aircraft, but that remains to be seen exactly how big of a market that turns out to be.

Problem is, they're building these airplanes so that ANYONE can fly them. And I assume that'll be a hot-bed market for low time guys who'll be willing to do it for next to nothing - therefore killing any kind of decent salary that could be made flying it.

For owners/operators/investors, the idea that anyone can fly them does''t appear to be a problem, rather a real benefit. And of course the idea that anyone can fly them includes the safety caveat.

I have always felt that airlines should consider the JetBlue model in reverse. Aircraft should be made so simple to fly that instead of an aircrew helping out to clean the plane, the aircraft cleaners would help out and fly the plane. Is it possible for this to happen? I have no idea but outside of the VLJ/SATS concepts, it doesn't appear to have any real support.

No entity should aspire to manufacture or deliver a product with an increasingly complex manufacturing or delivery structure. All machines used in the production of goods should have a downward pressure placed on their operational complexity so that it will be increasingly easier to replace those operators. While those aspiring to make a living as professional pilots may cringe at the thought of developing an aircraft that required very little training or skills to operate effectively and safely, keep in mind the objective of any corporation is to maximize the wealth of the shareholders and as such, if complexity reduction would result in more capital retained by the shareholders then that would be the route to take. IMHO

I am guessing that the ready supply of qualified labor at what some here describe as poverty level wages keeps this idea on the back burner. But it would seem that sooner or later competitive pressures will result in a simpler aviation operating environment. I think most here will admit it is not a very difficult process as it stands, but it is still such that depending on the certificates required the process can take years to provide a suitable operator.

Anyone here with a cross section of experience between the old (let's say B727) and the new (I don't know - A320)? Are modern aircraft easier to fly or is there more training required of you now?

User997 said:

Considering that the test pilots just geared one up on Tuesday at ABQ and the company is claiming there was no mechanical failure, of course calling it pilot error, the "Anyone" statement might be a little premature. (sic) But then again, if the pilot error is true, there may be two more pilot positions in the craft @ ABQ.......

...and you guys thought 500 hour RJ copilots are bad.

Wait 'til the flight levels fill up with "owner-operator" flown VLJs...

Who's gonna insure these boneheads?

500TT, 00 in type, and a high-altitude, single-pilot, turbojet?

What are they smoking!

My guess is that pay will have to be very competitive with regional Captains pay, since they'll need to attract 1000 turbojet-PIC dudes.

What's the useful load on the Eclipse? It can't be much. I'm predicting Eclipse will go out of business from all the lawsuits by fat pilots.

Latest resources

Back