Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Anyone know if you have to be a pilot to be a cruise pilot? Assuming you are trained in the aircraft, is it a requirement to be a licensed pilot with a 2nd class medical to act as a relief pilot? TC

Check your PM's. TC

Sounds like my kind of gig! 99% of my f-up's are in the T/O and LDG phases anyway.:nuts:

X

cruise pilot

Anyone know if you have to be a pilot to be a cruise pilot? Assuming you are trained in the aircraft, is it a requirement to be a licensed pilot with a 2nd class medical to act as a relief pilot? TC

The pilot whould have to have medical, at least SIC type(outside of US) aircraft current, but does not need to be landing current.

Mobie

sounds bad TC.

Being that we do so much of this type garbage....IMHO dragging 3 pilots in a corp jet gives you just that - 3 tired pilots.

Best scenario - when the plane stops (like after a 13hr leg) new crew gets on.

Worst scenario - one new pilot gets on and flies the last leg.

having a "cruise pilot" to sit there and babysit the radio only to drag out the old qualified tired guy to land makes no sense to me anymore.

can you tell Im bitter on this subject?

:)

Ok, here's the deal and I already know it can't be done legally.

We've got a guy off on medical. He's fine, just doesn't have his medical back. We're short (and the company's jacking with his employment status--long-term disability requires a termination) and we could put him to use and avoid any disability issues.

We've got to go to plan B. Thanks all! TC

XTW--Considering you spent most of your career deadheading between preflights, you WOULD like that gig. :D

Ok, here's the deal and I already know it can't be done legally.

We've got a guy off on medical. He's fine, just doesn't have his medical back. We're short (and the company's jacking with his employment status--long-term disability requires a termination) and we could put him to use and avoid any disability issues.

We've got to go to plan B. Thanks all! TC

XTW--Considering you spent most of your career deadheading between preflights, you WOULD like that gig. :D

I would love the gig and can be most attentive for brief periods (hey, those Russians don't care if we go direct, do they??...).

When the poor sob get's healthy enough to do honest work, call me to replace him.

The medical sounds like the limiting factor. Can he get a 2nd or 3rd class?

Latest resources

Back