• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crosswind question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've watched many pilots land an airliner in a crab, and while I'm cringing it's all I can do not to push the rudder pedal right at the end to straighten it out. I've also watched many pilots try to take the crab out with aileron and induce a sideload drift downwind. Personally, I feel landing in a crab or with some drift is poor airmanship.

I attempt to make every landing without any crab or drift. Many hours in a tailwheel airplane will teach you that doing otherwise makes the landing more interesting than it needed to be!

Bavarian,
You might want to check out the Great Space Coaster for tips on crosswind landings.
Respectfully,
Sigmund the Sea Monster

Just wait til they get the multi-crew licensing on line. Then you can fly with people who have 10 hours in a real airplane.

Wait are those them funky creatures from 'Land of the Lost'?

Those guys scared me too!

What a blast from the past!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LZzVCpYDY&mode=related&search=

My brother used to pretend that he was a sleestack and chase me around the house when i was kid............................ i still have nightmares :)

capt. z

ps: i think there is still a small colony of them living just outside EWN............

Gee thanks! Now I know I won't get any sleep tonight You son of a Biscuit!! :)

You got Marines and Osprey's down there you'll be fine......

Wait are those them funky creatures from 'Land of the Lost'?

Those guys scared me too!

What a blast from the past!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6LZzVCpYDY&mode=related&search=

The uniforms are a little different but they kind of remind me of the TSA.....

Lot's of hissing.......
take your lap topsssssss out of the casesssssssssss,
hiss ,
empty metal objestshissssssssss outa your pockhitssssssssssssssss
hiss

Scary looking, but totally harmless idiots..........

see for yourself click below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpNd-Dg6_zQ&mode=related&search=

Back to the Thread...

It's been a while since I've flown a 737 that is authorized to autoland, but from what I remember the autopilot lands in a crab. The mains caster a little to accommodate this (like up to 10 or 15 knots max xwind?)... which I think explains why some older 737s don't taxi straight... the casters aren't quite centered.

I just like how I can take off in an old -300 with the nosewheel glued to the centerline, yet the airplane yaws back and forth during the roll.

It's been a while since I've flown a 737 that is authorized to autoland, but from what I remember the autopilot lands in a crab. The mains caster a little to accommodate this (like up to 10 or 15 knots max xwind?)... which I think explains why some older 737s don't taxi straight... the casters aren't quite centered.

I just like how I can take off in an old -300 with the nosewheel glued to the centerline, yet the airplane yaws back and forth during the roll.

I asked the offset gear question to a former Boeing engineer and he was surprised that it was that noticeable from an A/C following on a taxiway. His reply was that the jig used to build those 73's was actually misaligned (both gear are not equal distance from the center line, longitudinal axis) and Boeing decided it was not going to affect anything, so they did not spend the money to straighten out the building jig. I have no reason to doubt the guy but I never researched the matter.

Thanks for bringing us back to the thread......
Maybe the nightmares and flashbacks will go away now...........
I got to stop drinking soooo much of that cough syrup!

Latest resources

Back