Cross-Controlled Stalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cross-control stalls

Excellent comments above. Once again, to the best of my recollection, I never had any of my several CFI students come back and tell me they had to demo a cross-control stall.

Better to be prepared than not, though, especially after reading Partial Panel's experience.

Just wanted to add that, if my memory serves me correctly, I did not deploy any flaps for the cross-controlled stall demo for fear of exceeding Vfe on the recovery. The DE had no problem with this.

I've done them in a 172RG in prep for the CFI and it's a non-event. You can hold it in the stall and it just kind of bucks a little bit like a mechanical bull running on 2 AAA batteries. Pipers as stated above behave differently. The thing that gets me is that in doing these in Pipers is very likely to get you into a spin if you don't recover promptly and all the Pipers other than the Tommyhawk aren't certified for spins. The Tommyhawk on the other hand spins to well to suit me.

RT

I think the FAA has done their job too well - I hear a lot of fear of spins out there.

It is true, Pipers are hard in the spin (Cherokee's, Lances, etc.) but they are also hard to get into a spin. It takes an awful lot of rotational force to make an Indian spin. More than likely everyone, though has had the excessive wing drop and the possibility that the Cherokee is going to enter a steep spiral (difference - spin = wing is stalled and airspeed negligible, spiral = wing is not stalled and airspeed rapidly increases). Recovery is a piece of cake as long as you just center the controls and pull up to the horizon.

X-controlled stalls are non-events in any airplane as long as YOU have command of the airplane. It is basically a slip with a stall added. Yes the rudder must be coordinated with the aileron inputs - if you are going for your CFI, you have your commercial rating and hopefully have figured this out by now.

As a CFI, people are going to try and kill you just about every week. Your job is to know the plane with comfort that you can keep this from happening. I have had lots of wing drops, lots of (unintentional) x-controlled stall entries, lots of incipients. If your spin training scared the heck out of you, go back to a competent CFI and spin your brains out until you realize it is just one more maneuver that the airplane can do. And yes, even though Piper's lawyers put a placard up there to remove liability, Cherokees will spin and they will come out of a spin. In fact, I think the reason for the rough ride is that darn Piper wing wants to recover and hates the stupid guy keeping full rudder and full back pressure. PS, as to the tail staying on - I'd rather spin a Cherokee any day before a Traumahawk.

The thing that gets me is that in doing these in Pipers is very likely to get you into a spin if you don't recover promptly and all the Pipers other than the Tommyhawk aren't certified for spins. The Tommyhawk on the other hand spins to well to suit me.

The Cherokee 140 is certified for spins as long as it's 1( not airconditioned and 2) Within the utility category CG and weight limits.

I've done many spins in a 140 they don't like it and are fairly difficult to get a good entry. Recovery is normally immeadiate after application of opposite rudder and forward yoke.

Latest resources

Back