CRJ700 Series 701/705

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-handle

Curious, what is/are the difference(s) between the series 701 and 705? And are there any significant differences between the CRJ700 and CRJ900?

Differences 101

Differences between the 701 and the 705: The 705 is basically a CRJ900 that is configured with 70 seats. They did redesign the wing to get an extra 300 nm range out of it. You'll see the redesign of the wing in the winglets, they stick out from the wing at about a 55 degree angle instead of the near 90 degree angle that you see on most RJ's. The first one won't be ready to fly for another couple of months. I believe it was Air Canada that wanted these. They wanted to be able to fly from Montreal to Vancouver year round so they ordered enough of these 705's for Bombardier to stick them on the assembly line. So far, no other carriers have ordered any.

I can't speak for many of the differences in the -70 and -90 except to say that the -90 holds 90 pax, has bigger engines, and performs about the same as the -50, maybe a little better. Nearly all the systems are the same between the --70 and the -90. The pilot reference manual (kind of a Bombardier POH) is the same for the 2 aircraft.

evidently you do not need differences training between the 700 and 900 or so i was told.

US Airways was the first to order these, though they later had to change the order from 705s to 701s because the 705s were a pretty straightforward violation of US Airways scope at that point.

Iflyamouse said:
Differences between the 701 and the 705: The 705 is basically a CRJ900 that is configured with 70 seats. They did redesign the wing to get an extra 300 nm range out of it. You'll see the redesign of the wing in the winglets, they stick out from the wing at about a 55 degree angle instead of the near 90 degree angle that you see on most RJ's. The first one won't be ready to fly for another couple of months. I believe it was Air Canada that wanted these. They wanted to be able to fly from Montreal to Vancouver year round so they ordered enough of these 705's for Bombardier to stick them on the assembly line. So far, no other carriers have ordered any.

I can't speak for many of the differences in the -70 and -90 except to say that the -90 holds 90 pax, has bigger engines, and performs about the same as the -50, maybe a little better. Nearly all the systems are the same between the --70 and the -90. The pilot reference manual (kind of a Bombardier POH) is the same for the 2 aircraft.

The 700 also has a forward lav. The 900 has dual aft strakes on the bottom of the empennage in place of the fairing on the top of the fuselage on the 700.

A question off topic:

Are autothrottles standard on the CRJ700 and 900? And if so is there also vnav and autoland?

Thanks

The 700 also has a forward lav.
United Express' CRJ-700s is in a two class configuration but only one lav in the rear but it's a larger size than on the CRJ-200. I've flown on ASAs CRJ-700 and they have two lavs but just one class configuration. Different operators with different configurations.

Are autothrottles standard on the CRJ700 and 900?
No. Just advisory VNAV like on the CRJ-200.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back