• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ200 v1 cut advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think my issue is that I over react or rush through the recovery with less than stellar results.

No need to rush through it. Think of how bad the thing climbs on 2 engines. Now take one away with a failure and you'll have time to finish that suduko puzzle before you're 1000' AGL.

Initiate rotation at V1 to achieve V2 at the screen height(35ft dry runway-screen ht less for wet rwy

That's a mis-print right??

Have you ever taken off with an operationaly required, reduced V1? There are situations where there can be at least 10kts difference between V1 and Vr. To start rotation at V1 is not a smart thing to do.

That's a mis-print right??

Have you ever taken off with an operationaly required, reduced V1? There are situations where there can be at least 10kts difference between V1 and Vr. To start rotation at V1 is not a smart thing to do.

Yeah, I meant Vr. Sorry.

No worries, really wasn't trying to be an arse.

Well, I guess I am corrected and I will admit when I am wrong. I am just talking about flying the sim, it works well to keep it on the runway, in real world you will not possibly have obstacle clearance. That said, I will stick with my opinion on hand flying the sim, if the examiner has not told you to hand fly it, then use the autopilot.

Well, I guess I am corrected and I will admit when I am wrong. I am just talking about flying the sim, it works well to keep it on the runway, in real world you will not possibly have obstacle clearance. That said, I will stick with my opinion on hand flying the sim, if the examiner has not told you to hand fly it, then use the autopilot.

Understandable, but what you do in the sim carries over to the real world. Slippery advice just to handle a V1 cut or SE missed. Most likely when you get to the missed approach the A/P will have been disconnected anyway. The initial part of the missed will be hand flown.

I understand your "do what it takes to pass the maneuver" theory in the sim, just don't agree. Learn it right the first time then carry it over to real world flying.

To the original poster: It sounds like things are starting off badly with your PM "yelling ENGINE FAILURE!!" First of all, tell him/her to calm down. Just tell me in your calmest voice "Hey, man, two's rolling back" or something. Unless of course your company tells you something different.

The others are correct, just do everything in slow motion, and in order to pass your sim ride and generally survive in the 121 world, don't be afraid of the automation. Learn it, lean on it when you can, but of course NEVER be afraid to turn it off when you're ahead of the airplane and the automation is tripping things up.

Yes, you should be able to fly an airplane or even the sim when things are going badly, but check your profiles: they will call for application of the AP at a certain altitude. 600 ft if I remember correctly from my CRJ days. So stay in the profile if you can and life will be grand.

Regarding S.E. go-arounds: for the love of god don't do anything quickly. In any airplane. That's pretty much the name of the game in any 2 engine airplane with only 1 running, no different in jets. Some people around here get all worked up when someone mentions staying on the runway a few knots past Vr, but you DO NOT have to horse the airplane in to the air just because the person next to you gave permission to do it. You and your pax will be better served in most cases by waiting until you've got things under control before committing to the air. Now, waiting a little longer as you remain early in your sim training will allow you to hone down your reaction to the point of near normalcy, but never be afraid to slow down when things are getting weird.

I generally agree with most of avbug's posts, but just because he's flown a CRJ sim and wasn't impressed doesn't mean that he should dictate policy to someone trying to pass a 121 PC. I agree about what you SHOULD be able to do, but you are training....and that will come later(but hopefully not much later), stick with your profiles when you can, but fly the airplane first.

To depart the idealistic world of flying and piloting for the world of checkride etiquette, I routinely see people that fly too long in the sim before asking for the AP. Here's the philosophy: Never go faster than 200 until the guy in the back tells you that you must, and never hand fly until they fail the AP.

stick with your profiles when you can, but fly the airplane first.

Which, if you read again, is exactly what I said.

If one is having trouble controlling the airplane through automation, then get it out of the way and fly the airplane, because there is no higher priority.

Fly the airplane.

Step on the ball (or "brick", whatever the crj has) and keep you're leg in there! I'm a sim instructor, and have seen so many folks pushing that rudder in and out until you don't know where in the heck you're at! Don't steer with the ailerons/spoilers until well into your third segment. Only then should you relax that leg and have some altitude and speed built up! Also on a single engine, whenever you move that throttle, you've got to put in/take out that rudder trim to compensate. "move the throttle, move the rudder trim."

Latest resources

Back