CRJ200 v1 cut advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vavso

Hi all I need some advice /tips on taming the v1 cut in the crj200. I think my issue is that I over react or rush through the recovery with less than stellar results . Aside from the pilot monitoring yelling ENGINE FAILURE what do you as PF see and how do you respond to the initial issues that come with the engine loss. Aside from veering off centerline and the brick shifting . I had one on a Go around last week and it was ugly. Thanks all.

Some tips that get me through my PC's:

DON'T OVER-REACT!

Use as much rudder as you need to keep the aircraft heading in a straight line down the runway.

Don't rotate the instant Vr is called. Count a second, then.........

Rotate smoothly, whilst looking outside, slowly increasing the amount of rudder required to keep the aircraft nose aligned with the runway. This where most people start the spastic oscillations that unlimately end up with a blur of elbows and yoke movement because they transfer instantly to the instruments.

Once you've got as much rudder as need to keep the thing under control, transfer to the instruments and don't chase the flight director.

After that small adjustments and don't forget to keep the pressure on the rudder when you engage the A/P. At least until you dial in the rudder trim.

I know most of this is obvious and may not be the techniques that others use but it's worked for me.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info...

I wish the v1 cut at v1-vr was the problem ...... The real headache came when the cut came at mda after the toga buttons pushed and go around started Vavso

Hi all I need some advice /tips on taming the v1 cut in the crj200. I think my issue is that I over react or rush through the recovery with less than stellar results . Aside from the pilot monitoring yelling ENGINE FAILURE what do you as PF see and how do you respond to the initial issues that come with the engine loss. Aside from veering off centerline and the brick shifting . I had one on a Go around last week and it was ugly. Thanks all.

I don't care if it's a CRJ or a Lear or a King Air. What do you do? Nothing. Fly the airplane, don't do anything differently. Fast hands kill. Go rushing to do something, you'll make a mess. Do things methodically, one at a time, in no big rush, and don't let anybody rush you.

You shouldn't be veering off anywhere. That's what the rudder is for. The floppy things on the floor down by your feet. Push one of them. If you don't like what it does, push the other.

Ailerons. You have a pair. Use them when you use the rudder. If you're getting a cut at V1, you're above Vmcg and Vmca...you shouldn't be departing the runway. rotate to your target pitch, climb out at V2 (or as your company policy dictates), and don't do anything bizarre, fast, or unusual. The key to handling an emergency is to make it routine.

Haven't flown a CRJ but during my X training, and I think this will apply, don't engage the autopilot until you've leveled off, reduced power on the good engine, and TRIMMED the rudder pressure out.

Other than flying the airplane and keeping the thing going in a straight line, I don't know what to tell you. Could be that you're not using enough rudder, and not soon enough if you're leaving the sides of the runway.

If you're having trouble during a single engine rejected landing, it's possible that you're not using the rudder properly.

Just keep it simple and stick to the basics. Use the rudder to keep it going straight, and the ailerons to keep the wings level.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Opec,

Part of the problem is that most CRJ operators will teach new-hires with no previous 121 experience to engage the A/P as soon as SOP's allow. Part of the reasoning being that it'll decrease the workload.

So apart from a couple of maneuvers and the very last part of an approach they'll not have much of a chance to hand-fly the sim. And therefore not be as experienced with the nuances sim flying. All the CRJ sims I've been in (DEN,MEM,YUL & CLT) have had far more twitchy rudders than the actual aircraft.

I once had a new-hire with very heavy feet watch how much the pedals moved when his partner had a V1 cut and it was only about an inch or two.

Vavso,

Try this: Switch off the FD and see if things improve. If it does, you're chasing the FD.

Last edited:
Be smooth on the power increase on the good engine during the engine out go around. Be smooth on your rudder application while increasing power on the good engine. Relax. The best part about engine out training in the sim is that everything happens in slow motion due to the reduced climb rate.

Be smooth on the power increase on the good engine during the engine out go around. Be smooth on your rudder application while increasing power on the good engine. Relax. The best part about engine out training in the sim is that everything happens in slow motion due to the reduced climb rate.

Very good advise! Also, Vavso, I want you to write down and memorize your profiles. Chair fly as much as you can stand. As one ASA instructor said, "single-engine missed is a V1 cut with a running start."
I want you to have note cards in your hands with the profiles listed step by step. You should be reviewing these cards consistently! I know, in the computer age it sounds archaic, but note cards are vital. I keep mine in my book bag to use for reference during long legs. And, 30 days prior to a training event, they come out and I live with them right up to the day before my ride!
Aircraft control is probably not the problem as much as not having the steps down cold. A key to this is that your rushing. When you know the steps you will be relaxed.
A tip to you and others, study your jepp charts! If you know what airport you will be using the next day in the sim get the charts out and study them! As an example, know the missed approach procedure; what will be your acceleration height? Will you use heading mode initially? Or can you use FMS needles initially,etc, etc.

Cheers- Rum

There really isn't a lot of yaw in the 200 on a V1 cut. A little rudder goes a long way.

My technique is to correct with that little rudder that is needed during the cut, and rather than have that relatively fast rotation like you would when doing a normal takeoff, it doesn't hurt to get your control together and stay on the runway a second longer before you yank the nose into the sky. Look down the runway, and bring the nose up once you've stabilized the amount of rudder you need initially. Try focusing on just maintaining the centerline all the way through the rotation until you can't see it anymore.

As far as go arounds are concerned, they usually give you 100-200ft so make it smooth and rush nothing. Click the togas and expect the rudder pressure to change with any and every power/speed change so keep an eye on that brick. Get a stabilized climb straight ahead before you think about going from green to white needles for the missed. One thing at a time!

Don't rush, be relaxed and methodical and that oughta keep the screen white and not red ;).

Latest resources

Back