• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ vs. ERJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ERJ is not a tin can. You guys are full of beans to say things like that. Any airplane that can hit the ground at seven times the design load limit and taxi off the runway without collapsing the gear is not a tin can. I don't think any CRJ could do that.

The CRJ has ZERO leg room in back. ZERO. The only way you could possibly be comfortable in the back of a CRJ is if you are 4 feet tall. At least in the ERJ you have a 75% chance (actually higher) of getting an aisle seat and you definitely have more room ahead of you if you are stuck by the righthand window.

FWIW, the CRJ-700 is simply a stretched CRJ. No leg room, just as noisy, and completely/hoplessly outclassed by the ERJ-170/190.

As for reliability, I guess you're saying the CRJ has a 99%+ dispatch rate. That's the only way it can beat the ERJ. And considering that two hour "maintenance" delay on ASA last week, I guess the CRJ may have better reliability, but I bet its on time performance sucks.

Last edited:
My airplane can beat up your airplane.....

Ok, point taken, but hold your horses <g>, I guess I should have put a smiley or a grin... I loved the DoJet yet I will be the first to say it was a tin can vs the CRJ. And my tin can remarks on the ERJ are from what I heard crash pad buddies say when comparing it with the CRJ. I do know the ERJ is a fine airplane to say the least, has awesome dispatch reliability vs the DoJet (much of that due to Fairchild Dornier's disappearance) and unlike the CRJ's 'lawn dart' final approach, it lands more like heavy iron. I was just trying to say that the CRJ's construction vs the ERJ's is a bit like Boeing vs Airbus... the Airbus is built light, and that makes for greater economics. (I know, Canadair is no Boeing , and sometimes the cockpit arrangement eg some approach-related stuff split between the two far sides of the cockpit, makes me wonder ithe Stanley Cup playoffs (remember those?) were on the night they decided on those ergonomics.

CRJs landing gear sounds really wimpy when landing. Feels like your riding on top of the wheel as a pax. Also really loud when lowering the gear. Oh yeah, that overheard panel in the cockpit is very mickey mouse. What a dumb thread!:)

At least in the CRJ you don't have to wear David Clamps like a private pilot and you need no headset above FL180. Unless your one of those guys (and you know who you are). You can always tell how the trip is going to go by what kind of headset the guy next to you pulls out of his bag.

snine3departure said:
At least in the CRJ you don't have to wear David Clamps like a private pilot and you need no headset above FL180. Unless your one of those guys (and you know who you are). You can always tell how the trip is going to go by what kind of headset the guy next to you pulls out of his bag.

explain further.

Don't listen to Legacy driver he got shut down in the corporate side. We call the ERJ the WSCoD.

You can do a search on it. I'll save you the time. Whistling Sh!t Can of Death

Oh and as a pax I'll take a CRJ over an ERJ any day. Taxing around in an erj your wondering if the gear is going to stay on the plane. Creeeek grooooan crreeeek groooooan. Jesus what a childs toy.

snine3departure said:

It's probably because the FO can't afford a decent headset. I don't find the DC's uncomfortable, but I have been told I have a thick skull. And I just love the captains who whine because I am wearing my DC's and they want to go "no headset"... well sorry but I'll still have my hearing when I'm 60!

And as a pax I can attest to the WSCoD acronym for the ERJ. Yeah you have a better chance at a window seat but you have to tilt your head sideways if you're tall because how curved and skinny the fuselage is.

Last edited:
Name me an airplane that isn't loud at 320 knots!

CRJ is just as loud in the back as the ERJ and not nearly as comfortable.

The ERJ is not built lightly. It is a strong airplane. It has to be for its job and again, it has proven its strength.

ZERO FATALITIES and counting.......

Oh, and I don't have to wear DCs in it, and above 180 we take headsets off, so I am not sure what your point is.

They are both good airplanes, but I think the edge goes to the ERJ.

The 170 blows all regional jets away. But that's another subject.

Diesel said:
Don't listen to Legacy driver he got shut down in the corporate side. We call the ERJ the WSCoD.

Shutdown by people who can't even quote the stats for the airplane correctly. People who can't understand what PRE-S/N 690 means....I.E. LEGACY I vs. LEGACY II. Get a grip on it man.

Latest resources

Back