• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Easy boys... lets not automatically assume that the individual here knows better about buying your own type. Not everyone with pre-ATP hours know how the "real-world" operates out there.

He probably has innocent intentions, but maybe he hasn't been explained yet the pitfalls of buying your own type. Instead of jumping on him right away, try educating him NICELY about it.

Updraft - as you can see this is not a very popular topic on here. If you're not simply looking to "buy a job" and get ahead of everyone else working hard to build hours and experience, then let us know why you feel this is THE best or only route to go.

Ugly answers aside,

if you do want to build you confidence and are fortunate to have some $$$ to spend, GO A RENT A D@MN AIRPLANE! Spend half that amount on some multi time and see the country! If you are from the Northeast, a flight into Sedona or Avalon will be things you will remember for the rest of your life. See (and master) the world at 120 knots first--you'll be glad you did. Your interviewer will have something to talk with you about besides an electrical system....

Don't believe they hype from these schools--a type rating will do nothing for you (you can't use it until you become a captain, and then you would have goten it for free). It is really little more than a very expensive video game that actually breaks, not builds, confidence in most experienced pilots.

Either way, good luck to you.

updraft said:
making myself competetive

The type rating won't do that for you. In fact, it could have the opposite effect.

and gaining confidence for 121 training

Maybe there'd be some small benefit in that regard, but the reward is hardly worth 1/100th of the investment. The way to 'gain confidence' is to continue accruing flight time, preferably multi time, do some reading (the Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual is a nice, basic primer), and getting your ATP written knocked out at the appropriate time. An entry level job wouldn't hurt either - traffic, ferry jobs, snag a right seat in a King Air, etc.

In my view it is very disingenuous of the operations you mentioned to sell this type of training. It is out of place in the career ladder and preys on customers who just don't know any better in an attempt to make a fool and his money part ways. Of course, the reason these 'training providers' offer this product is because the marketplace will clearly eat it up. Consider this thread the cheapest education on the matter you ever got.

Your first 121 job the training will tell you exactly what you need to know and how they want you to fly the airplane.

You could concievably run into problems if you go buy a type.
The companies procedures and profiles may and most likely will differ from what you learned during your type training. This could lead to some difficulties, if you are locked into a certain mindset.
The type rating could give you a false sense of security. Different companies have different memroy items and Emergency Procedures.

Just get a job go in and study your arse off. Fly the way they tell you to, Do everything the way they tell you to, and you will pass and enjoy life.

After my interview at AWAC, only 2 out of 6 people got hired. One of those people had 300 hours and a CRJ type. Take that for what it's worth.

updraft said:
making myself competetive and gaining confidence for 121 training

I don't recommend it, either.

A very close friend of mine did IOE on a 700 TT new hire recently in a turboprop for a 121 airline. The pilot had a CRJ type rating from, I think, RAA. The CRJ training actually hindered this pilot's learning and acclimation. The check airman told me the pilot probably would have done fine in IOE if the person had not experienced interference of learning (remember the FOI?) from the CRJ type. Instead, additional time was required before this pilot was signed off.

Having a type with no time in type is useless. It won't help with either your competitiveness or your confidence level.

SiuDude said:
After my interview at AWAC, only 2 out of 6 people got hired. One of those people had 300 hours and a CRJ type. Take that for what it's worth.

He probably knew someone on the inside.

If you go into an interview with a CRJ type, it will just be another airplane which they can ask you questions about. I would have to think an interview like that would almost be like a checkride, being asked questions about an airplane that you have no real experience in from pilots with thousands of hours of operational experience. Knowing people and making connections is free and goes farther in being more competitive for an interview than a RJ type rating. If you do get an interview, and then are offered a job, you can always get a subscription to http://www.jetreview.com/ and for $10 get a heads up on limitations and memory items. Just knowing those will give you more free time to study up on other things and help improve your confidence. If you want to spend more money, go get your ATP in the Duchess to increase your chances. A CRJ type rating just does not seem to have any use outside of the regionals, why pay for it?

Latest resources

Back