CRJ Type Rating, Where can I get one?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Generaltso:

Ever been to an interview? I hate to break it to ya but it is not your choice in what you will discuss and which aircraft you would like to discuss. The interviewer has full control and can take it any way he wants.

For instance, the last interview I had proves this point. I was furloughed and had flown the ERJ for 6 months prior. I also had 900 hours in a Metroliner but that was almost a year ago since I flew it. First question out of the interviewers mouth," Oh, the Metro, I've got a lot of time on those, so tell me, how much fuel is in the hopper tank when a low fuel warning light illuminates on the annunciator panel? Talk me througha V1 cut with full engine shut down procedures(memory items). I knew and focused my studies on the ERJ so trying to go back and pull those numbers out and procedures was tough but expected of me.

To re-address what Metrosheriff said, you better know your stuff on all aircraft you have flown before you go in. Anything and everything is fair game.

so which interviews have you been to?

are you an airline pilot in diguise as a 172 pilot?

RJ type

I agree with the others. It's not really worth it to buy what is really an esoteric type rating. I say esoteric because the training is not commonly available to the pilot public at large and really available only to operators. You've already discovered that.

Your best chance at getting "the interview" is to offer essentially the same credentials as others offer, i.e., in a nutshell, plenty of multi PIC. You can get that as an MEI. If you can land a job flying in scheduled ops, i.e., multi freight or checks or something like that, so much the better. If you show an RJ type on your resume, it may be a negative because it could type you (sorry) as an oddball. Commuter recruiters expect a particular profile in their applicants and don't expect them to have type ratings. Something odd or different about an applicant without apparent explanation raises red flags and invites the round file (which is one reason why I regard recruiters as coneheads - they have this narrow point of view). The exception would be applicants who have types but also legitimate PIC experience in their aircraft.

A commuter might send you to an RJ immediately if it has the need. These days, though, it probably will not, so you will be assigned to the best aircraft your seniority can hold, which may be a 1900 or a Dash. It may be a few years before you can bid an RJ. By that time, you will have forgotten more than what you learned in your RJ ground school. Moreover, they want to train you their way and what you learned before might interfere with how they want to train you. That could hurt you.

In my day, many people, including myself, bought Citation type ratings. I did it because I thought it would give me an advantage if I could show I could pass a turbojet training program. Also, in those days, American Eagle was giving sim rides in a Citation sim. Well, several months after I took my type, I got an AE interview and was put in the sim. My type helped me not one iota. The sim flew completely different than the airplane. I do believe the type helped me land a couple of senior instructing jobs, but did me no good for getting commuter interviews.

Good luck with your plans.

PS-to the General: I went to five interviews or screenings eleven-twelve years ago. Nothing has changed. Take it from me, the interviewer controls the interview, not you. Don't be a wise guy; answers that you propose will accelerate your trip home. I remember my very first interview at WestAir in 1990. The Chief Pilot asked me to describe the emergency extension procedure on the Seminole. In other words, even if you have zillions of time in a 172 from several years ago, be prepared to answer questions on it.

PPS-Great suggestion below about getting a glider rating. I knew someone who got a job with Express I in Memphis or Nashville, I can't remember which, in part because of his glider rating. His interviewer was also a glider pilot, they bonded, and the rest is history.

Last edited:
I got asked questions about a PC12 that I had logged 12 hours in at an interview. Luckily I knew the answers. I

f you have a type in the aircraft they could ask you some real deep question.

What are you going to do if you get a job offer from someone who flys EMB's ? And even with a type ypu will still have to go through thier trainning program and pass a check ride.

I'ld use that money to get another rating or more multi time. A glider or seaplane rating might get you further in an interview if the interviewer has an intrest in either.

I got asked questions about a PC12 that I had logged 12 hours in at an interview. Luckily I knew the answers.

If you have a type in the aircraft they could ask you some real deep question.

What are you going to do if you get a job offer from someone who flys EMB's ? And even with a type ypu will still have to go through thier trainning program and pass a check ride.

I'ld use that money to get another rating or more multi time. A glider or seaplane rating might get you further in an interview if the interviewer has an intrest in either.

I've gotten gouges from several majors (straight from the horses mouth). All of them said they would not ask you a question about an aircraft that you are not currently flying. But then again, the majors run there interviews a lot different then the regionals.

I think the best thing to do is get the gouge on the place you are going to interview with (obviously, right?). It doesn't make sense why someone would see if you remember what temperate makes the overheat light come on in a plane you flew 4 years ago. But I guess the regionals run there shows different.

I think in general the regional interview is more technical oriented while the major interview is more HR questions. But your right, I don't know anything about regional interviews, so thanks for clearing it up.

I have to say getting typed in an RJ with the amount of time you say you have, you'd be tossing your money into the wind. Save it for something useful - a type in a plane you may not fly for several years is a waste.

But to answer your question, there are places that will do it... for a hefty price, and their training is from my understanding (all 3rd hand info at this point)sub-par to what the airlines do (for free I might add!).

Latest resources

Back