CRJ Type Rating, Where can I get one?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyCrop

I would like to go get a CRJ type rating while I am unemployed. Does anyone know who is giving the training for one?

Thanks

Honestly, the only way I know how to get one is to obtain a job at an airline that flies them, and wait for the upgrade. Honestly, if you are thinking this will enhance your employability, I would save your money. A type without any experience, or real reason to get it would be useless. You would be better served gaining another rating, or some multi time or something.

Of course, Flightsafety does all of our training, in their sims with our instructors. Perhaps they can help you out if you have the money. Of course, these days you probably need a note from the FBI to get an air-transport type without a job and a backround check. Might be more trouble than it's worth. It may even look a bit suspicious. Perhaps you could tell us why you want it, and we can help more. Good luck.

CRJ Type Rating

Thanks for the input.

I am currently at ATA in Orlando. I start Specifics Class for the CRJ in March 2002. I would like to go for the Type Rating after I am done with the class and check-ride(CL-65) with ATA. I did the Specifics Class for the EMB-120 in September 2001. Since then I feel that information fading from not using it, of course. I would definately like to have the deck stacked, with a CRJ Type Rating, so that when the Regionals start hiring I have an edge/job.

FlyCorp,

I would be very careful about doing this for a few reasons. Most importantly the CRJ and ERJ have a reputation for high failure rates on checkrides and type rides. They are quite a handful to fly and definetly take some time to get used to. I have flown with Captain's who have thousands of hours on it and will admit they learn something new everday(as you'll find in a lot of planes). It seems as though at our company those who do well on the rides are those who sit as FOs for a while. Obviously they get invaluable experience on the line. Many failures come from transitions where this is the first jet and glass they have flown. I can tell you this, it was my first jet and glass, I had about 1200 like you, and I busted my butt to pass the SIC portions required. To throw me in from my previous a/c into the left seat......well lets just say I would have some pink wall paper.

I would recommend putting your money to getting some multi like previously stated, picking up a CFI, II, MEI. Those are things that companys like to see. It would be better to show them your drive to fly and teach then your ability to buy yourself a type. Not to mention, the last thing you need in an interview would be a FAA failed ride. Remember, any interview you have, it is fair game to drill you on that a/c........thats a whole lot of ground that you would have to know having never flown the actual a/c.

whatever you decide, best of luck, and not to worry, hiring will be back.

Just my 2 cents.

Wait...

Just wait until you get hired by a regional, let them pay to train you as a FO and then type you as a Captain. Don't waste your money. Don't hurry things because 10 to 1 you will end up in the same place as someone who waits for company-paid training.

Adding Ratings or Types....

You both are probably right.

As you mentioned about getting CFI, CFII, MEI, and the MEII. I am currently getting the CFI and CFII with American Flyers(great course!!). Next month I'll go up to ATP in Jacksonville for the MEI and MEII. Then I'll transition back to ATA for the CRJ class and stay afterwards to do MEI and MEII instruction with their Duchess'. Maybe I''ll put this money to work with some Embry Riddle courses.

I agree 100% with the previous posts regarding the CRJ type rating.

You mentioned that you would like to have it in order to give you an "edge" on the competition. Since you won't be flying the aircraft after getting your type rating, you will soon forget everything (as you mentioned above).

Let's say you get an interview at a regional. The question will come up as to why you have a type rating in an airplane you have never flown for which no one requires a type rating prior to employment. Then the questions will lead to aircraft systems (that you already forgot). Pretty soon the rating is actually hurting you instead of helping.

If you want an edge on the competition, get experience. Don't waste money on type ratings that the regionals eventually will pay for (besides, you will always still have to pass their training). These days, there are a lot of experienced pilots (ex. airline)looking for jobs and a type rating with low time will not help you out.

Take it from a guy that teaches (IOE) every day in the CRJ. Instead, get more multi and instrument time. That's what will eventually make you a competent pilot.;)

Well said, skywrj. I would also add that if you showed up for a SIC check in an rj, and had a type, they might expect a bit more from you. We had some Midway guys at Comair who did really well with the training, no wonder since many were captains in the same aircraft. I don't know if this will work for you, but sometimes it pays to be dumb. I know a lot of instructors will go a lot longer to help someone new who is willing to learn, rather than help someone who tries to know too much. Anyway, why would you want to pay for training that you don't need yet? Just do the best with what you have, and the job will come. Good luck.

where does it say that because you have a type rating you have to know the systems of the aircraft? Ask a Delta 777 Captain to describe the fuel system on a DC-8, which he was typed in. Do you think he will know? I don't think he will, and I don't think he will give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

I think if an interviewer tried to ask questions about a plane that I hade not flown recently, I would simply say I don't remember, it has been a while since I have flown that plane and I like to put an emphasis on the systems of the plane I am currently flying (or something like that).

There are pluses and minuses to paying for a type rating. First of all, if your paying for the type, the chances are A LOT slimmer of busting then if your upgrading at an airline (but it is possible).

A type rating can prove to a potential employer that you can survive a intense training course, like the one they will put you through. Also, sometimes you can get a couple great recommendations from examiners or instructors.

With that said, if I was going to throw some money down to get a type, I would definitely say get the B-737, unless you are a lifer. The 737 will do much, much more for you in the future (if SWA continues their hiring practices).

Either way, good luck and have fun!

generaltso said:
where does it say that because you have a type rating you have to know the systems of the aircraft? Ask a Delta 777 Captain to describe the fuel system on a DC-8, which he was typed in. Do you think he will know? I don't think he will, and I don't think he will give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

I think if an interviewer tried to ask questions about a plane that I hade not flown recently, I would simply say I don't remember, it has been a while since I have flown that plane and I like to put an emphasis on the systems of the plane I am currently flying (or something like that).

"I know I am typed in the CRJ, but I have never actually flown it, only the sim. Besides, it's been a while for me so if you don't mind, I would rather go into depth on the fuel system of the C-172RG."

Yeah, that would work real well in an interview.

I am not sure, but I don't think Delta 777 Captains go to many interviews for airlines operating CRJs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back