• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ PAX Comfort, Not!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey I paid regular pricing for my ticket...it was the only flight I could get and my first time sitting in the back of an CRJ...I for one will do what I can to avoid this from happening again and book on something larger in the future.

I understand the economics of how we got to where we are with the fleet size, but I think its going to be a long long learning process for the flying public to understand that their demands for lower ticket prices was the root cause for their discomfort today....

Middle seat of a 757 is not much better than a CRJ.

I must admit though, the window on the CRJ is really bad. This airplane works great on flights not much more than an hour in length, but two hours, ugh. But as a passenger, would you tough it out and enjoy the option of flying direct to your destination?

The 700 is better, windows are where they should be. Overhead bins are still small. Still get that "tubular" feel.

The EMB-170? higher cost, but the passengers seem to really like this airplane.

Middle seat of a 757 is not much better than a CRJ.
I've not yet ridden a CRJ, but I have ridden an ERJ and as near as I can tell the seats on that aren't any worse than todays 737 or 757 in coach. The ERJ may be a bit better, I feel, because you have a higher chance of getting an isle or window seat. :)

Minh

I'd hate to point out the obvious

rvsm410 said:
I understand the economics of how we got to where we are with the fleet size, but I think its going to be a long long learning process for the flying public to understand that their demands for lower ticket prices was the root cause for their discomfort today....

You know what? When the RJs first came on the scene the passengers *loved* them.

Know why? Because they replaced old beat up turbo-props which the public perceives as retro-.

Anyway, the original idea of the RJ was to *improve* service. Instead of getting knocked around down low in a turboprop, one could instead ride in a new jet in the flight levels.

But those things were never meant to replace main line flights.

Sadly outsourcing seems to be all the rage in every industry these days and so now the customer gets less for the same dollar.

I blame management.
I blame the customer.

The CRJ came from the business jet Bombardier Challenger. The windows were supposed to be just right with the business style seating that it originally was designed for. When the 7/900 came along fixes were put in place to make the window more usable for the passenger(s). My personal gripe with the CRJ is the seat comfort, which I consider some of the worst in the industry... like sitting on a metal plate, especially on the older ones! The other problem was that Bombardier took out half of the A/C ducts to save weight, but puts all of the conditioned air right at the feet of the passengers sitting at the window. So you see, headroom is really the least of the worries, even though it would be nice to have. Unfortunately it really is the customer who is to blame for having this aircraft on many of the domestic routes... you get what you pay for. It doesn't however absolve the airlines either of their responsibility for customer service. Hopefully some of the ticket price increases will stick and allow some profitability to return to this industry instead of having all of the employees subsidize the cheap airfares. And again it doesn't absolve the industry to get as much efficiency put into place as possible... this airtravel is now just a commodity and the most efficient company wins.

At least Bombardier didn't just rip the props off a Brasilia, stretch the tube and put jets on the back...stupid Embraer.

Even the seats in the 170 still make me feel like I've been sitting on shards of glass for 2 hours...big overheads or not, south american seats are far worse than canadian seats.

mar said:
I blame the customer.

You can't blame the customer for wanting everything for nothing... It's the same in any business, and guess what, unless you're living in a cave and eating off the land, you are a customer too. Trust me, I've had my share of wanting to punch passengers in the head for their individual complaining, but you can't blame them for wanting what they want... and the decline of the industry from the flight crews' viewpoint isn't the passengers' fault, either. Blame the airline management, the aircraft manufacturers, the pilot unions, the cutthroat competition, whatever.

Blaming the customer is never the answer... it's not THEIR fault that they need eyeballs in their elbows to see out of a CRJ window!

The state of the industry

Yeah man. I'm a customer and sometimes I even search the WWW looking for the cheapest possible fare.

But in my heart of hearts I know it's absurd to expect JFK to LAX to cost less than $250.

All I'm saying is, we seem to value convenience over comfort and, complain as we may, the airlines have simply responded to that sort of demand.

I'm not really blaming the state of the entire industry on the customer or management.

We agree: everyone is guilty in that department. And there's plenty of blame to go around.

You get what you pay for.

If you want a comfortable seat come off the money and ride in first or business class, otherwise quit complaining about your uncomfortable $150 seat.

Dirty Sanchez said:
If you want a comfortable seat come off the money and ride in first or business class, otherwise quit complaining about your uncomfortable $150 seat.

Yeah! Stop being such a cheapskate and spend ten times as much for a seat that gives you 20% more room! There are plenty of first/business class seats from Lexington, KY direct to Pittsburgh! If you don't like it, do three legs, all in airplanes with bigger seats, and pay $2000+!!

Stupid customers, how dare they want to look out the window! "Come off the money" and buy your own airplane if you don't like it!

YEAH!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back