• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ "flipped over & caught fire" on takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wonder how the pilots got out? My worst fear is to be upside down in an RJ, on fire, and the FA bolts before retracting her jumpseat.

Very much a deep seated fear of mine... I know there are other things that might be done to get out (as mentioned earlier) but they take time and mean while my skin is melting... THis is why we see "all passengers on board survived however the pilots were killed during the crash..."

A different view of the aircraft.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/14/europe/EU-GEN-Armenia-Plane-Crash.php

If it was icing, it's ironic that Bombardier issued this message just YESTERDAY.

The purpose of this AOM is to increase flight crew awareness of safe take-off practices when operating CRJ aircraft. Flight crew and support staff should be made aware of the rationales for specific take-off procedures and the potential consequences for not following these procedures.
Recently, on a positioning flight with flight crew only onboard, a CRJ100 experienced an uncommanded roll immediately after lift-off. The Stall Protection System (SPS) stick shaker and stick pusher activated and a combination of the SPS activation and flight crew actions resulted in a successful recovery of the aircraft. The flight was then continued to its destination.

This event is currently under investigation by the host country local authorities; we are therefore limited in the amount of information that we can release. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada and Bombardier are assisting with the investigation. Weather conditions at the time of take-off included moderate snow, which contributed to the
event. The occurrence aircraft was de-iced and anti-iced prior to take-off and appropriate holdover times appear to have been respected. However, wing anti-ice was “NOT” selected for
take-off, contrary to the direction provided in the Aircraft Flight Manual. In addition, the aircraft rotation rate was considerably beyond the normal 2.5 to 3 degrees per second recommended
rate.
During post-occurrence analysis of the Flight Data Recorder, an additional four SPS events were found on the same aircraft, where the stick shaker activated immediately after lift-off.
The following take-off guidance must be respected for every flight:
Pre-take-off preparations shall include:

Perform accurate weight and balance calculations.

Select the take-off speeds accurately including corrections if appropriate.

Ensure the wings and airframe are clean (de-ice / anti-ice as required – respect

holdover times).

Ensure that proper take-off thrust and trims are set.

Take-off procedures (All Engine Operation - AEO):

Ensure that wing anti-ice is selected prior to initiation of the take-off roll, if required.

At Vr rotate smoothly towards the target pitch attitude in one continuous motion

(As a guide: Maximum recommended pitch rate of 3o per second on the CRJ200)

Adjust pitch as required to accelerate to a speed of not less than V2 + 10 KIAS.

The flight director guidance represents an initial target for rotation only.

Pilots must transition to speed control immediately after rotation.

This kind of stuff just about drives me nuts. There should be a common sense rule, and if you dont abide by it (wing ice on in snow, and dont rotate to the pitch attitude of the space shuttle), then it is your own fault. Bombardier should not have to take out a formal advisory to reiterate simple flying techniques!

"I was all like...its snowing, and the captain was all like... yup. And I was all like, I bet if we rotate faster and bring the nose higher, we'll get outta the snow faster...and then I was all like...shhhiii... we on our backs"

This kind of stuff just about drives me nuts. There should be a common sense rule, and if you dont abide by it (wing ice on in snow, and dont rotate to the pitch attitude of the space shuttle), then it is your own fault. Bombardier should not have to take out a formal advisory to reiterate simple flying techniques! "

So true, way to may people rotate right into Continueous Ignition. Bad practice.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back