• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 700 or G-IV?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with chpr. Any company flying a Gulfstream (or any bizjet for that matter) that is either unwilling or unable to pay to send their FOs to school on the airplane is a JOKE. Starting FO pay 39K with top of the scale 50K? Not to mention $14,000 upfront for Gulfstream school? Discount or not that seems really, really cheap...no way that is for a type.

It sounds like it could be a good opportunity to gain ever-precious Gulfstream experience, provided you get a firm, legal contract that guarantees repayment on schedule and full immediate repayment in case of termination.

Remember you're only worth what you negotiate...good luck with your decision!

If your ultimate goal is to reach a major (I think you mentioned FedEx), you'll accumulate flight time and upgrade quicker with your "regional" job. The faster you build PIC in large equipment the better you will look on paper. Plus I would be skeptical of any outfit that makes you front your training costs (I can almost understand a training contract) and only pays $50 a day per diem for international flying. That kind of equipment and flying usually dictates each crewmember be issued a corporate credit card for expenses. I would also be weary of a 2 year upgrade promise at your experience level.

On the other hand, flying corporate is a relatively comfortable way to build time and experience without the painful experience of being a probationary pilot on an RJ. Good luck with your choice.

Don't take the G4 job. It's jobs like this that lower the bar in the indusrty. Hiring low timers and requiring them to pay for training is BS.

Spinplate said:
Thats my only hesitation.... its 2 weeks on and 1 week off ( your not flying everyday on those 2 weeks) This company gets a discount at Simuflite for 14k. You pay for your own training and they pay you back over 24 months (written agreement). The start pay is 39k/yr and per diem is 50 bucks/day. 6k increase in pay every 6 months until it caps out at around 50k+ for FO. Upgrade in 2 yr for my experience level, but awesome international experience. Would FedEx still look at my time in the G-IV or are they lookin for min. weight. aircraft. Captains make over 100k after a couple of years or so.

This all depends on your age and family situation. I just turned down a simular position because of the domicile(s) choice and the fact of those two weeks in a GIV I'd be out of town and out of the country.

If you are young with no family do it. If you have a family the regional position will have you home to watch your family grow up.

PM me if you want more info

Yeah I wouldn't go if I had to pay for the type. It isn't SWA and you don't know how stable (LOL) the industry is. I agree the GIV is a great jet but later on you'll learn that QOL is much more important. If the GIV gig gets you the opportunity to log PIC quicker than by all means give it a shot. Good luck with your decision.

Spinplate said:
Thats my only hesitation.... its 2 weeks on and 1 week off ( your not flying everyday on those 2 weeks) This company gets a discount at Simuflite for 14k. You pay for your own training and they pay you back over 24 months (written agreement). The start pay is 39k/yr and per diem is 50 bucks/day. 6k increase in pay every 6 months until it caps out at around 50k+ for FO. Upgrade in 2 yr for my experience level, but awesome international experience. Would FedEx still look at my time in the G-IV or are they lookin for min. weight. aircraft. Captains make over 100k after a couple of years or so.

You pay 14K for your training, now you are minus 14K. Then they pay you 39K for the first year, now you are plus 32K, that is roughfly $2700 a month. Is that something you can afford? Also consider that you are on call 24/7 when flying 135. Intl experience is very important also. You say that they give you a written agreement? make sure to get that agreement before you pay yhe 14K for the sim training. Where are you going to be based? Are you planning to commute every time you have a week on? those are things to consider also. Do they have good benefits (401K, medical)? if i think of anything else i'll post it here.
Good luck

Latest resources

Back