Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 vs. E-145. What are the differences?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CHQ Pilot said:
I think you would be surprised that you wouldn't get much over the engine limitations (if even that much) if you firewalled them. The engines are trimmed to not exceed limitations and to provide the guranteed amount of thrust. Just because sims will exceed limitations, doesn't mean the aircraft will. It is all up to the current ambient conditions. The FADECS will always give you the maximum available since it is computer trimming (by fuel flow)and not manual engine trimming. If the FADEC computes that it cannot give you the maximum, it will let you know. I would trust the FADEC engine to give the most amount of thrust any day over a non-FADEC engine.

Thanks, I already know how a FADEC works and what it does. The last two aircraft I have flown had them. The point I was making is the ERJ's wannabe FADECs are not that sophisticated.

Rogue5 said:
Interesting.

Well I've been flying the CL65 for three years and I've had that 14th stage plunger blow out once, and it was after using the wing and the cowls together. I've never used the wing/cowl/wing method for the cowl A/I alone and its never been a problem.
Forgot to turn the wings on prior to the cowls once and guess what, blew the cowl pressure relief valve. If Bombardier fixed the problem, as someone else mentioned, they didn't tell AWAC about it. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal anyway. It's second nature now and it would seem funny to turn the cowls on without turning the wings on first.

rjacobs said:
If the ERJ had leading edge devices it would be a much better airplane to fly slow.

Vortillons aren't leading edge devices?

no, slats would be leading edge devices. The vortillons are exactly like a VG on the top of the wing, they only really do something in a stall situation.

Not really. Its a wanna be ..... a strake of sorts. He's talking slots/slats/leading edge flaps.

Vortilons are more for straight airflow (preventing spanwise flow) over the ailerons than anything else.

BoilerUP said:
I do what is in the FCM, and it says wing on/cowl on/wing off.

This is the procedure at AWAC; I'm curious if any other CL65 operators do it the same way.

We (9E) do.

Last edited:
Jeez, no wonder we get paid squat. This job is about money not the airplane. You would never see this conversation on a major board, because they don't give a s***. Come on!

U-I pilot said:
Not really. Its a wanna be ..... a strake of sorts. He's talking slots/slats/leading edge flaps.

Vortilons are more for straight airflow (preventing spanwise flow) over the ailerons than anything else.

Almost right....

They prevent span-wise flow to prevent loss of lift at high AOA. Or, the degradation of Lift due to the span-wise flow during high AOA flight. It supposedly creates a aerodynamic fence at high AOA. Just like the old a/c that had a real (ie physically present) fence on the top of the wing.

They are only effective at VERY high AOA.

Though I have my thoughts on the whole issue. Like they don't work as published. I think you need some VERY HIGH AOA to get the production of a invisible fence to materialize. I don't think we as pilots spend much time in that area of flight.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure those vortillons are there only to hit with your forehead. I don't even fly that airplane and managed to do it once...

Seen 2 FOs get them on walk arounds as well.

flysafe said:
Jeez, no wonder we get paid squat. This job is about money not the airplane. You would never see this conversation on a major board, because they don't give a s***. Come on!

You are right, a bunch of us dorks talking about RJ's. The sad part is you are a little off, I have seen threads/discussions/converstaions about which is better; the Boeing of the Airbus. Specifically the 73 vs the 319/320.

And yes, they were just as pathetic as what you have read here.

Latest resources

Back