Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CRJ 200 vs. E-145. What are the differences?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
honeycomb said:
I like the Avionics in the ERJ better (with the Universals) and I like the CRJ as far as systems and pilot operations.

I'm curious as to why you prefer the avionics in the ERJ, especially with the Universal FMS. Granted I only have limited experience with a UNS setup, but the one I used was terrible.

ATRCA said:
Cmon, I have 4000 hrs in type and the only emergency I have had was during taxi when some old guy passed out in the back. Seriously, AE must have had some problems with MX on their A/C bacause here at XJT we have a 99.9 completion factor with the A/C going on 5 years now. As an aside, the XR is completely a better aircraft than the previous 145 series and is certainly a superior performer to the CL-62-200. Emraer took 8 years of complaints and issues, fixed them, and produced the XR. Its the A/C that should have been built from the start.

Glad to hear it. Good for you. Aren't you the smart one. What is your secret?

Dude. If you think it is bunk then say it. I know better. I was there. I have just under 1800 hours in the ERJ and just over 2000 in the CRJ.

I don't fly either now. I fly corporate birds these days.

We had crews that had Stab lock outs regularly. Are they bad pilots too?

The EMB 135/145 was Crap when I flew it. And, the CRJ was not.

I guess I just had a bad run of luck. I also got hit by a fuel truck on my last Rev flight on the ATR. Lucky me. What fun.

I had 3 medical emergency's in the ATR the month before my last on the a/c. The F/A's got the rest of the 4 day trip off due to their contract. Both the Capt. and I flew the rest with Resv. F/A's. I don't think the F/A's minded.

Common dude use your knoggin' on this one. Why would I tell you anything other than the truth.

If you really want to know my secret...just ask. :p

Last edited:
BoilerUP said:
I do what is in the FCM, and it says wing on/cowl on/wing off.

This is the procedure at AWAC; I'm curious if any other CL65 operators do it the same way.

It's the same way at ASA.

I havent flown the CRJ, nor ridden on one so sorry for the biased view.
The ERJ does have electrical problems/computer problems. I personally havent had major issues with them, but if the GPU gets pulled before the button is deselected, the plane freaks out and you gotta shut down and start up again usually. And an EP and lower model does have speed, altitude, and weight issues. With anything close to a full load in an EP, plan on stoppin at FL300 and dont plan on gettin there quick, around 500 fpm to keep any kind of airspeed, then once you are there dont plan on doing .78 either, I think .70 is a more realistic number. The LR is better where you can usually fill it with people, fuel, and cargo and go right up to FL370 and go to .78 unless it is really hot outside. I havent flown the XR yet, but will in the next few months. As far as engine problems, I think since the FADEC software got sorted, TSA only had like 2 shutdowns in 5 years, I may be wrong on that number but it is low, and we all know how good TSA maintenance is. The universals are a good FMS if you know how to use them, they are not as intuitive as the honeywell, they also dont have predictability features of the honeywell. The universal only knows whats going on now. It might say ETA is 2+ hours when the flight is only an hour, but once you get going and get to cruise its pretty good. The VNAV function is way better than the honeywell since it will actually tell you what descent rate you need. The autopilot sucks at intercepting courses. The airplane is great to hand fly, pretty easy to land. If it is a repo or ferry flight it can get a bit squirly especially if it is windy.

sweptback said:
I'm curious as to why you prefer the avionics in the ERJ, especially with the Universal FMS. Granted I only have limited experience with a UNS setup, but the one I used was terrible.

I like honeywell. I have personal reasons. I enjoyed the ease of use. I like a FMS and Not a FMC.

Things like that.

The cockpit is really egronomic. Well thought out. Having come out of a ATR before the ERJ it was heaven. Clean lines....no clutter....etc.

The Universals are my favorite. Personal I guess. Everyone is different.

I just don't like the level of computer interference in the ERJ.

Say the FADEC's....If I want RADAR power....I don't want some FADEC telling me NO you might go over a limitation. Right, the engines can be replaced and my life cannot. I don't care about limitations when I am in windshear and I would like a little more power.

Things like that.

I like the Cockpit Layout and the Honeywell Tubes and the Universal set-up. Just me and my likes.

Peace

honeycomb said:
Say the FADEC's....If I want RADAR power....I don't want some FADEC telling me NO you might go over a limitation. Right, the engines can be replaced and my life cannot. I don't care about limitations when I am in windshear and I would like a little more power.

Things like that.
Peace

Agreed. Calling those things FADEC's is a bit of a misnomer. It only has F-ull A-uthority after you give it the information it needs. Unlike other aircraft that are equipped with a real system.

Even though the CRJ (50 seat) doesn't have them, it's nice to know that if you want more power, all you have to do it push up the thrust levers and not have to punch a button to tell it what to do.

One other thing.

I like hand flying. Maybe more than most. Must be all of those hand flown LJ 24 hours with no FD. Different story.

The CRJ is a Cat II capable a/c.

But, the ERJ (at the time) was not even close.

For example...the Capt. could not use his FD or the A/P at or below 1000 feet. The FO could not use his FD or the A/P at or below 1500 feet.

Also when using the A/P it would fly through the loc and g/s. The soft ride software was terrible.

No matter the a/c No A/P I have flown has known the word or phrase Right Now. Not even the CRJ.

So, I have hand flown the ERJ a lot. (As well as the CRJ.) And, I prefer the the CRJ when hand flying. Not that the ERJ was terrible. But, not as good IMHO.

Peace

Last edited:
The autopilot in the ERJ can go down to 200 feet on either side. It is also a cat 2 and in some cases cat 3 aircraft. Cat 2 is AP down to 200 feet, FO handflys to DH then the CA takes over for the landing or if nothing is seen the FO does the go around. Cat 3 is done with a HUD and I dont know about the AP with a cat 3.

rjacobs said:
The autopilot in the ERJ can go down to 200 feet on either side. It is also a cat 2 and in some cases cat 3 aircraft. Cat 2 is AP down to 200 feet, FO handflys to DH then the CA takes over for the landing or if nothing is seen the FO does the go around. Cat 3 is done with a HUD and I dont know about the AP with a cat 3.

That is good. It was a lot different years ago.

I am glad to hear they finally got all of that straight.

The newer XR's have the HUD and CAT3 capability. On the overhead circuit panel there is a section of breakers for the HUD and CAT3 equipment. I have over 2000 hrs. in the erj and have never had one problem. The XR is the way to go. Great plane, can cruise at .80 and climb at 1500FPM in the upper 20's and low 30's But who really cares what type of plane it is. It's all about the pay check at the end of the week. I'd fly around a 152 over the erj or crj if they paid me enough. It's just a job. I don't hear my girlfriend arguing about her office job desk and chair being better then her co workers. My chair goes faster then yours, and turns real fast. My desk is bigger then yours. Oh yeah, and her desk makes her a lot more money then my ********************ty little fast airplane makes me.

Latest resources

Back