• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Critical Engine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For zero x-wind component then its either outboard (1 or 4). For any x-wind component then its the up-wind outboard.

Critical engine

The upwind, outbard engine would be the most critical. A crosswind would reduce the amount of available rudder since you are using the rudder to keep the aircraft on centerline....you don't has as much available to react to an engine failure upwind. I have seen data with other Boeing 4 engine aircraft where you had to reduce the thrust on the outboards due to runway condition (wet or worse) and a crosswind. Basically you have a VMCG vs Decision speed issue....

Civ/Mil: Civilian
A/C Flown: B727, B737NG, B757-200, B757-300, SF340, J31
Ratings: ATP, Student Pilot, B727, B737, B757, B767, SF340, J31
Total Time: 10,600

Please tell me you are not serious?????

Boeing 4 engine time

Are you suggesting what I am saying is not correct? I have spend a great deal of time flying Boeing equipment and a number of days at the Boeing plant in Seattle. This very subject has been the topic of conversation with the Boeing pilots.....I have even discussed it with Saudia 747 crews when I was upfront this them.....

on a four engine swept wing jet it is the upwind outboard engine. This is why you have optimum outboard thrust. The outboards will often be pulled back to a lower setting than the inboards to decrease V1.

oops did not see airline pilots post...yes he is totally correct. V1 will be based on the greater speed. This will be either vmcg or vcef based on the temp and WX conditions.

I'm not sure but I do know if you lose one right after takeoff in SFO the car alarms sound for miles!

Gup

I know, I know!

What is the critical engine of an F-16???

Well, you got me on that one. Iis it the one in the middle, or is it the one in the center? Crud!

You know, I am still trying to figure out which engine on a CH47 is the critical one! :laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back