• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Critical Engine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The upwind outboard for the x-wind reasons stated before. Does it really make a huge difference? NO.
I don't think I have ever noticed a difference in my V1 cut training.

Junkflyer said:
They're all critical on a 100 flying out of the Middle East in the summer.

Bingo!

Critical engine is more for props

The critical engine is more of a prop term because the propwash over the wing surface provides alot of the lift on that wing. So when you lose an engine on a twin you lose 80% of the lift not 50%. But a jet engine does not provide lift to a wing so its not as big of a problem if the aircraft was designed with sufficiently powerful engines. Even on 2 engines the DC-10 still climbs like a raped ape if its not too heavy.

stupidpilot said:
The critical engine is more of a prop term because the propwash over the wing surface provides alot of the lift on that wing. So when you lose an engine on a twin you lose 80% of the lift not 50%. But a jet engine does not provide lift to a wing so its not as big of a problem if the aircraft was designed with sufficiently powerful engines. Even on 2 engines the DC-10 still climbs like a raped ape if its not too heavy.

say what now?

Critical engine is more for props

You better reread your books. Not 80% Lift, it is 80% performance. as for a jet I agree with airlinepilot. It is the Upwind outboard engine. That comes form my USAF Training in the Fat Kid...E-3 AWACS

Critical engine on prop planes is due to P factor more then anything. Because of gyroscopic effect the force produced by a propeller acts at 90 degrees. With any angle of attack on the airplane the force of a clockwise rotating prop acts to the starboard side of the plane. Thus if the PORT engine fails it will mean the pilot has to use more rudder to counteract the slip produced by the starboard engine thus making more drag and not as much rate of climb.

Alot of twins have counterotating props for this reason, it negates the critical engine.

Last edited:
GuppyWN said:
I'm not sure but I do know if you lose one right after takeoff in SFO the car alarms sound for miles!

Gup

Only if the FO doesn't step on the rudder when it happens.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back