Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Criminalization of Pilots: Are you next?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had he operated according to the rules and regulations, this would not have happened. The powerlines were suspended on poles 70 feet tall, he was at or below 70 feet. Either which way you slice it, that was too low.

He broke several FAR's, including the worst offense a pilot can do, careless and reckless. Yes, that one is often misused, but in this case, it is spot on.

Sorry Rez, ignorance and poor airmanship is not an excuse. The FAR's are written in blood, I guess he decided to add more.

Like someone esle said, I think he got away easy.

Last edited:
Sorry Rez, ignorance and poor airmanship is not an excuse. The FAR's are written in blood, I guess he decided to add more.

But it is not criminal!

He did not intend to harm anyone.

The issue is the trend is switching over to pilots who may have violated the FAR's but did so without malice or in difference... are being convicted criminally...

If anyone of us cause a runway incursion and kill people should we go to jail? Be convicted of murder? Manslaughter?

Be careful who you wish to prison... it might be yourself one day...

Did he intentionally fly over the river at 70 feet, yep, he admits it. Did he intentionally violate FARs, yep, he admits it.

RWY incursion are not willful and intentional, certainly none I have heard of.

Sorry, let's just agree to disagree, I think he got of easy.

Did he intentionally fly over the river at 70 feet, yep, he admits it. Did he intentionally violate FARs, yep, he admits it.

Again... he did, but he thought he was at a different location of the river...

RWY incursion are not willful and intentional, certainly none I have heard of.

Yet a Japanese pilot was tried for murder for the death of a FA. He was the PIC ... they went through extreme turbulence.

Sorry, let's just agree to disagree, I think he got of easy.

No we all got a bad precedence set against us...

No I don't get it...

I'm not surprised.

Every statement I listed would be something that someone who committed a criminal act might say, and they certainly DO apply.....as examples of other types on "unintended" criminal actions.

Of course someone sitting in jail might not have "intended" to do the crime, but they're still sitting because their actions were criminally careless or negligent. Intent has nothing to do with it in this case.

It would seem that based on the responses on this thread so far, you're the one whose just not getting it.

Last edited:
I guess so.....

Maybe I am the only one who doesn't think piloting should be criminal. The FARs are administrative law not criminal....

The measurement on this thread is populist... not legal....

I guess so.....

Maybe I am the only one who doesn't think piloting should be criminal. The FARs are administrative law not criminal....

The measurement on this thread is populist... not legal....

You're not really dong much to change my already low opinion of you and your posted beliefs.

Piloting, is NOT criminal. Acting in a reckless or careless fashion IS.

Do you understand that? I've broken it down into simple terms so you can understand.

By your reasoning, I could "accidentally" fly into a house and kill a family of five, but since I state after the fact that I "didn't intend" to do it, it wouldn't be a criminal act under any circumstances, and I'd be somehow protected by irrevocable immunity.

That's not the sort of justice each citizen of this country is guaranteed by the US Constitution.

Your understanding of criminal law is extremely weak. You should really be careful when you state things like "populist, not legal," because you really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Can you provide references?

Opinions vary, however, about whether his actions amounted to criminal conduct, or whether justice is served by sending him—or other general aviation pilots involved in aircraft accidents—to prison.

Obviously I am not the only one....

In addition, he was convicted by a county prosecutor.... not the Feds....

Last edited:
If I rent a car in a town I've never been in... and I make a wrong turn and kill somone...an unfortunatel accident.... is that criminal....?

Oh, and YES, IT DOES....in any town in the country........unless, of course, the pedestrian was somewhere he/she wasn't supposed to be, like out of a crosswalk or crossing against a red light.

Only a person seriously removed from reality would think that killing someone as the result of a careless or reckless act wouldn't be a criminal offense.

How ridiculous.

Latest resources

Back