Crew luggage ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sidesaddle

I'm looking to replace my Travelpro flight crew3 roller board. It has through lasted 10 years of regional, major airline, and now corporate flying all over the globe. But alas, I fear the time has come to play "taps".

I'm curious about the Purdy Neat Stuff Stealth line. It's pricey but I wonder if anybody has any good, bad, or ugly experience with these bags. Are they worth the extra $$$? (about $320) I can get another Travel pro for less than half ($140) but I need something that can hold up. Suggestions are welcome...

Thanks

travel bag

Go to Costco and buy one of there roller bags and when it breaks down bring it back and get a new one free(keep the receipt). My wife has being this for the past four years. The wheels usually give out first, but she has had handle and clip on failures too.

My experience with my PNT 23" Stealth NG: After five years and seven months of a guesstimated 18 days per month non-commuting use, I've lost one zipper pull, I have two zippers that are a little hard to move due to having been pinched, and I've replaced the wheels and bearings. Otherwise it's just fine. YMMV of course, but the only thing in my life that's been more reliable is my pet rock.

I'm curious about the Purdy Neat Stuff Stealth line. It's pricey but I wonder if anybody has any good, bad, or ugly experience with these bags. Are they worth the extra $$$? (about $320) I can get another Travel pro for less than half ($140) but I need something that can hold up. Suggestions are welcome...

Thanks
The former ramp rat in me can't say enough good things about the Stealth. From the standpoint of someone who saw tons of different kinds of bags get destroyed by normal use, I have to say that those suckers are pretty damn close to indestructible...and the components are almost all replaceable. Good quality zippers and solid framing...those are key if your bag winds up down in the pit. Worth the money, in my opinion.

The PNT Stealth NG 22" owner in me concurs with the statement above. I likely travel more than some crews (OK, maybe an exaggeration, but I do get around a helluva lot more than the average DXer). I've put mine through the ringer since I bought it and she holds up nicely to everything I throw at her.

Besides, since I don't carry around a flight bag, the metal kickplate gives me a nice place to put my In-N-Out Burger sticker (that one's just for you, Rez).

Go to Costco and buy one of there roller bags and when it breaks down bring it back and get a new one free(keep the receipt). My wife has being this for the past four years. The wheels usually give out first, but she has had handle and clip on failures too.

I would not recommend this. The wheels do go first. I was extremely careful with mine, carried it outside if the ground was wet or covered with salt and I was averaging 3-4 returns a year. The wheels give no warning and just start making a really loud squeaking sound, extremely annoying especially if it starts on day 1 of a 4 day. The wheels are not replaceable otherwise it might not be a bad deal. Not worth the money saved for the inconvenience.

My first Travelpro lasted me 7 years, I averaged about one handle replacement a year. One break down a year was still too much, but it was tolerable.

This last purchase I researched all conceivable bags (again) and finally broke down and spent 275 on a Luggage Works. Not the greatest design and it's heavy, but hopefully the wheels and the handle will hold up.

I wouldn't recommend it either. I've had mine since 2006 while doing a double leg commute (mostly regionals - plane checked). Every zipper except the main compartment zipper broke. Also, I bought the metal version and it is very heavy when fully loaded. Last complaint is the corner plates that hold the metal frame together became very loose as most of the screws came out or loose.

I've talked to many who have great experiences with this bag. Maybe I got a lemon. A good thing about it is all the different pockets and sizes of pockets. Also, you can order a handle cover with your name on it. For me the wheels have been excellent. To me the price hasn't been worth it though.

Fixing can be cheap. I had all the zippers replaced, screws re-attached and my handle adjusted for about $25 bucks this past March.

PNS all the way. It is the tank of luggage!

Stongbags are awesome! Great product.

Strongbags are not awesome, in fact they really are not the bag for the airline commuter as they don't fit in most overhead bins unless you put them in sideways, not what the last person getting on an airplane wants. Have had most of the zipper pulls fall off within the first two months of use, it just doesn't compare to the PNS.

Got mine at the Samsonite outlet. With Airline discount it was about $80. Lasts about 3 years with commute. Looked at the Stealth line. Nice but much higher weight than the others. Owners said they sent it back about annually and it cost them about $100 each time

Latest resources

Back