• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Credit card question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amex Gold is the way to go! All of the travel benefits outweigh the cost per year to have the card. Amex asks no questions when disputing a charge and most places take it. But, no matter what card you use...always have a backup of another i.e. visa/mc. You have to be careful with using a personal card however. If you are cycling $4-$6k per month in expenses and you want to buy a new car or a house, the credit report shows that as a monthly expense and bumps down your credit score. Always have a company sponsored (corprate) card even if you are responsible for the charges to avoid this trap. And last but not least Amex was voted best points program.

Just a thought...
I don't know where you're based and where you typically go to recurrent, but if you usually fly one one specific airline I'd probably start there. 50,000 points or more per year on one or two cards is pretty useful; spread out out more than that and the points start getting diluted. Personally, the only card to have is AMEX Black, but I seemed to have misplaced mine.

LS

Get the HHonors AMEX if you stay in that hotel a lot, I personally use the Delta SkyMiles AMEX.

For places that don't take AMEX, just get a Citi MasterCard, they have some kick ass cash back cards.

I just started a job where expenses are put on my personal card. I have had a SWA Rapid Rewards Visa for over a year now, and will continue to use it for my new job. Every $1200 you spend = 1 point. 16 points = 1 free roundtrip. I'm working on my 4th roundtrip in a little over a year.

Nice, except that it's on SWA...maybe a good company to work for but I would have to be pretty desperate to get on another of their planes as a pax.

I have to second the Marriot Premier Visa (black one), you accumulate a ridiculous amount of points very quickly and remember, when it comes to vacations with the fam, those points can be converted to airline miles for almost any airline on the planet, giving you the free flight and stay. Cool merchandise too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ45
a lot of places don't take AMEX.

like where? i have like a bazillion amex points, not once been denied the use of it. __________________

Many International locations do not accept AMEX, VISA or MC much more widely accepted.

AMEX charges the merchant a insane percentage (around 7%) to use the card.

I've heard that from businesses also, I think the rate amex charges depends upon volume so I'm assuming that's why larger operations accept the card while the "mom 'n pop" crowd don't.

Marroitt is now through the middle of Jan. offering 5,000 points for every three stays paid for with ANY Visa card. Marriott also looks back to Sept.06 after you sign up for this promotion. Total of 25,000 points awarded.

Get the Marriott black card. My point accumulations jumped from 100,000/year to over 350,000 when I switched from the silver last year. I've got my second big screen being delivered at the end of the month.

marriot visa all the way,,,, I can get really nice vacations every other year (aruba, Hawaii this year) with marriot and when you make gold you can go to the concierge lounge and platinum will guarantee you rooms for you plus get extra points or sometimes cash
and if you go to europe they dont always take amex

Latest resources

Back