• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cream of the crap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before some get their panties in a wad....
I never saw the crew. When I called for a ride I was told van is on the way to the airport to pick you up and a DL crew. After a little over an hour and a few more calls to the front desk, the van driver showed up. He said the problem was that the DL crews cannot ride with anybody else on the van and it was in their contract so he had to return to hotel and come back for me. This is not to say that I have not been in a van with DL crews before, like in Dayton where we practically live. I guess some hotels don't accept the "It's my van, wa, wa, wa, wa." crying shyt. To be fair to the DL crews, I had this happen once, a while back, while repositioning a captain into Brownsville. The van driver actually refused to take us from curbside, because a Continental crew was already in the van. We took a taxi and checked in while the CO crew was standing there. Needless to say we had a few choice words with the old fart captain who was there.

PS. The tittle comes from a friend who got hired at DL a while back and said that while in trainning they were told a few times that the reason they were hired was because "They were the cream of the crop!".

Last edited:
I never saw the crew. When I called for a ride I was told van is on the way to the airport to pick you up and a DL crew. After a little over an hour and a few more calls to the front desk, the van driver showed up. He said the problem was that the DL crews cannot ride with anybody else on the van and it was in their contract so he had to return to hotel and come back for me. This is not to say that I have not been in a van with DL crews before, like in Dayton where we practically live. I guess some hotels don't accept the "It's my van, wa, wa, wa, wa." crying shyt. To be fair to the DL crews, I had this happen once, a while back, while repositioning a captain into Brownsville. The van driver actually refused to take us from curbside, because a Continental crew was already in the van. We took a taxi and checked in while the CO crew was standing there. Needless to say we had a few choice words with the old fart captain who was there.

PS. The tittle comes from a friend who got hired at DL a while back and said that while in trainning they were told a few times that the reason they were hired was because "They were the cream of the crop!".

We were also told we would be the "richest people on the block"---but now we are trying to figure out where that block is? Is it in ATL or Laredo, TX?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I never saw the crew. When I called for a ride I was told van is on the way to the airport to pick you up and a DL crew. After a little over an hour and a few more calls to the front desk, the van driver showed up. He said the problem was that the DL crews cannot ride with anybody else on the van and it was in their contract so he had to return to hotel and come back for me. This is not to say that I have not been in a van with DL crews before, like in Dayton where we practically live.

It was me man. I knew there was no chance you cargo dogs had any hot FAs and don't get any great deals at the bar so I gave the driver a $20 to leave you. After all, I didn't want to ride with anyone who isn't the cream of the crop.

Why hasn't GL, FDJ2 or 737Pylt weighed in on this issue.... Oh, right, probably cause their the ones trying to keep the rest of us off their van.

No, because this thread is comedy and I'm still reading some of the responses before I go and get more popcorn!
Actually grog, I don't go to places like jax and lit!
I do go to FRA, CDG and SVO though!:)

I never saw the crew. /quote]

So it goes back to my scenarios. So is this the first time in your career that you've had this one used on you? This van driver could have been in a strip club down the street but you find it easier to believe that another aircrew was out to screw you over. Here is a secret... they are going to tell you anything so that you aren't mad at them so they can get their tip at the end of the ride.

Don't know about DAL, but I've heard it often said that ASA has it in their contract to have a dedicated van (as in not to share). I have never, ever, seen an ASA crew ditch another airline crew. These days we are trying to give away resume's to every other airline around.

But, in defense of the one crew per van concept, it is frustrating when three airlines crews are climbing over each other to the back seat and usually one airline has a 15 minute later duty in, so they decide to make everyone 20 minutes late after they get their coffee. Also the odds of a Flight Attendant over sleeping seem to go up exponentially with each additional airline on the bus.

If the Hotel is paid for the transportation and the deal stipulates a van per crew, then they should provide the service they are paid to provide. Holding up one flight for a sleepy crew member is one thing, holding up every departure from the airport is another. With the pay and conditions now prevalent in our profession - some are deciding it is not worth it to be professionals, we have all seen them.

So, if someone does not wait for my crew I grab a cab and expense it. No big deal. I fly for a frugal carrier, so it seems like you guys on the Majors board could come up with cab fare and probably get it reimbursed even quicker than the average guy. After 15 minutes, my crew is riding - period. No sense getting angry an over something that costs less than $5 a person.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back