Cream of the crap!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dsee8driver

Last week I arrived in PHL and had to wait 1.5 hrs for the van to show up because, "The Delta Crew cannot ride with anyone else in van." Heard the same from a Continental crew a while back. What's with this practice? I bet your crap still stinks and you button your pants same as me.

Don't fall for that old story, crap like that has been floating around for years and the story always involved a Delta crew. The only time in 39 years of flying that I know of a crew not wanting to ride with another, was at Western when my crew refused to ride in a hotel van with a Continental scab crew.

No offense but you sound like an idiot! You allow a Delta crew to tell you that you are not allowed on a bus that they do not own? Why did'nt you tell them them "fine you try to keep me off this van"? What do you think a police officer would have said? You actually think that anyone has the right to tell you that you do not have the right to get on a hotel bus? Second, why the hell did you wait around for an hour and a half? Have you ever heard of a taxi? I think this thread stinks of an attempt to attack these two pilot groups, nothing more! I encourage everyone to spit this hook out! I call B.S. on this guys post!

I've seen both an AA crew and a Delta crew do it. I've seen some not do it. Possibly, if they didn't want to cram into a van and were willing to wait for another one, I can see it happening.

I will give dsee8 the award for best thread title, though. :) TC

P.S.--One of the best lines I've heard in aviation was by Golden Falcon many years ago when he had an altercation with an uppity Delta crew: "Those a$$holes think they $h!t Haagen-Dasz". LMAO. :D

Had this happen in Dayton, OH. The Holiday Inn Driver tells me he will have to ask the Capt. if I can ride in the van. I liked this driver as I had been going to this Hotel many years. I said to him "Top" ask away, I am going to sit right here in the front seat and as long as it does not get you into any real trouble to hell with him. The Capt had this sour puss look on his face the whole ride to the airport. I am not sure what it is but I have had this happen twice and both times Delta. And to say I have a bone to pick is wrong my father is retired 32yrs from delta and he still bleeds Delta colors. He has been retired since 1988 and still misses the place. I have an affection for Delta that I can't shake because it is not the C.E. Woolman's delta anymore. So this is not a Delta bash just an observation. This may be left over from the days when all wanted to work for Delta and they were acosted like rock stars in hotel vans for recomendations. I have seen guys who think you can get letter out of a guy from a van ride to the airport. I have never asked and do not even strike a conversation unless it feels riight. By the way I'm sure Delta like all others have thier 10% +/- jerks as the world is saddled with them to make the rest look good. Good Luck to us all..........

Last edited:
Certain airlines contract with there hotel, vans that are dedicated/paid for the flight crews and specific flight numbers. This means a dedicated van just for them per there contract.

Now with that being said I would never leave another crew or passangers for that matter at the airport or hotel if there was room on the van. Delta over the years was the worst in this matter but over the last few years and the money problems they have had it seems they are now mostly willing to split vans with other airlines. I know I have rode with them on a few occasions in the last year or so which in the past would have never happened.

I hear what you are saying about contract with hotel and all, But like you I would not leave someone behind for the next van. With that said I thinks its fair to say if various crew members feel strongly that they rate a private ride then I would suggest a contract with one of the many limosine services. For that matter, some I am sure feel they would rate a stretched Hummer. As long as the van says the hotels name on the side it should take all to its capacity. And I agree the Hotels should not sign a contract of this nature just to lure the business. In Fact ATI does (did) all of thier training in Dayton and stayed at this very hotel. World had anywhere from 6 to 18 plus crewmembers there any given night and could have asked for this provision in thier contract with the hotel. I am quite sure it never crossed anyones mind to ask for a private ride. Maybe it just a different mind set.

I can assure that CAL has no such "own van" rule in regular hotel vans. And I have never seen anyone have a problem picking up another crew on the way to the hotel.

We do on occasion (normally international) use a private van service to get to the hotel and that is just CAL crew only because that is specifically contracted by the airline.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back