• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crazy pilots are allowed to fly now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless I missed a rule change, ATC was never allowed to take anti-depressants and control AC right?

If this is still the case, this means pilots can now take anti-depressants while ATC can't? If so what sense does that make?

Maybe I shouldn't be making jokes about a serious subject. I don't care who you are, anything can happen to anyone. A pilot smart enough to seek help is going to be a lot better person and a lot better pilot than someone who can't admit that depression is an illness just like any other.
I can't imagine suffering through something like a serious illness to a spouse or child and not getting depressed. It shouldn't be anything you should have to hide or be afraid to get treatment.

My guess is that there are a lot, well maybe some, silent pilots out there using Lexapro and the like to make it through the day - and neglecting to tell their AME

This move is smart - as it removes the stigma. My guess is that the removal doesnt make it a free for all, but that the protocol that has to be followed requires constant follow up - like a special issuance.

I take antidepressants for Multiple Sclerosis - and after a few days without the meds, I wanna rip heads off - its WITH the meds I can tolerate ******************** like this industry...

In the FAA's infinite wisdom, part of the Depression "cure" is to be grounded for a year..."feeling better? good. Sorry about that foreclosure and divorce but at least you're now safe to get your ass plowed by your lying, cheating employer"

Friggin awesome

Wow. The industry is such a smoking pile everyone is depressed. Don't worry though, you all can fix it with drugs. We wouldn't want any kind of pilot shortage. We gotta keep those boys flyin. Age 65, now it's depends and drugs. Friggin amazing. Pretty soon we'll have 70 year old, one armed, one eyed, depressed(fixed with drugs) F^&*ing monkeys up there piloting airliners.:beer:

Pretty soon we'll have PilotYIP telling us this is a sign of the impending pilot shortage in 2012.....

Nu

In the FAA's infinite wisdom, part of the Depression "cure" is to be grounded for a year..."feeling better? good. Sorry about that foreclosure and divorce but at least you're now safe to get your ass plowed by your lying, cheating employer"

Wouldn't you be getting disability pay during that year?

Probably not...depends on your insurance.

Unfortunately, most insurance companies choose to remain conveniently ( read: "saves us money" ) in The Dark Ages as regards mental health issues.

Read the fine print in your LTD and many of you will find out that depression, etc., is very limited in the amount and time that payments (if any) will be made.

As someone already pointed out...There aren't many people that are going to come forward and take a year off with little or no pay while having the FAA and the Company follow them around with a microscope up their kiester.

Most will just quietly keep taking there Prozac etc. and not report it.....

YKMKR

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back