• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crazy pilots are allowed to fly now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think anti-depressants are necessary, especially since they have very harsh side-effects and withdrawal symptoms. What needs to be treated are the underlying causes which create depressive symptoms. These feelings are brought on by incongruence within ones life. They're akin to physical pain felt in your arm which is an alert provided by your body that you require medical attention. No different with depression or any other emotional feeling. It's your body telling you something is not quite right within your social and emotional domains.

This is ignorantly simplistic.
If only the mind were so easy

I think you're trying to compare times when you've been down to actual clinical depression.
I won't say there aren't people on anti-depressants when I wouldn't be- but clinical depression is not an emotion- the chemicals in the brain and body are physically, and verifiably, affecting the mind and body

While I agree with you that "SOME" people may have clinical depression is there a blood test or some other verifiable test? With family members (all female btw) who are taking some form of anti-depressant, to me it seems that the drs. prescribe these things like candy. They go in for monthly follow ups and don't even see the dr. A PA or NP come in and ask how they are doing and 5 mins and a copay later have another 30 days. My opinion is these meds are way over prescribed and it is truly great marketing. Lifetime seems to be on a tv in our house 50% of the time(that is enough for me to be on something) and it seems every other commercial is pushing some sort of drug. A little blue? How about this. Can't sleep? How about this. Anxiety? Have we got the pill for you.

This is ignorantly simplistic.
If only the mind were so easy

I think you're trying to compare times when you've been down to actual clinical depression.
I won't say there aren't people on anti-depressants when I wouldn't be- but clinical depression is not an emotion- the chemicals in the brain and body are physically, and verifiably, affecting the mind and body

I'm just saying don't judge the people who have a physical/chemical disease and confuse it with the housewife who doesn't do anything and can't figure out why she's down. If you ever have to take care of someone w/ this illness, you wouldn't make broad generalizations- there are very few diseases that run the full spectrum like depression does. Bc of that, your experiences with it are not comprehensive

Latest resources

Back