• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Private jet crashes at Hobby, killing two

737 diverted to Bush IAH

http://a.abclocal.go.com/graphics/v3...trk_byline.gif

(11/5/05 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - A private jet has crashed at Hobby Airport, killing two people.
Also on ABC13.com:
Send us a news tip | RSS feeds | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on airThe accident happened just before 10am Saturday. There was apparently a 737 coming in for a landing some type of difficulty. Air traffic controllers told the pilot of the smaller plane to move off the runway to make way for the 737. The pilot took off in the jet, circled back around, tried to land again and crashed.
The Citation aircraft skidded a distance through a grassy area and ended up on runway #22 where it caught fire. Both people on board are dead, according to HFD officials.
The 737 was diverted to Bush Intercontinental Airport where it landed safely. There's no word yet on what type of problems that plane was experiencing.
Hobby Airport was closed for about an hour following the crash. Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)
  • <LI class=print style="DISPLAY: inline; MARGIN-LEFT: 20px">Print story Email Friend <LI class=email style="DISPLAY: inline; MARGIN-LEFT: 20px">E-Mail story <LI class=newsletters style="DISPLAY: inline; MARGIN-LEFT: 20px">Newsletters
  • RSS

Swa

The SWA aircraft was returning to Hobby due to an oil system malfunction. An engine was shut down due to said problem. The Citation was cleared for an immediate and crashed during takeoff.

This is second hand off of the SWAPA board, thought it might shed a little light. It doesn't say if it was on the return to HOU that the Cessna crashed. The post implies that it was during T/O.

Slug

The Citation took off, had requested a return, cleared to land, and crashed on subsequent landing. This is from the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3441710

The twin-engine Cessna Citation 500 crashed at 9:58 a.m. Saturday on the Hobby Airport runway, a few minutes after takeoff. The jet's takeoff, officials said, was hurried ahead of a Southwest Airlines 737 plane that was returning to the airport because of an emergency. The pilot of the Southwest flight, bound for Las Vegas, had asked for permission to return because an indicator light showed high fuel temperatures.

Fuel Temp light

Unless I need a refresher, I'm sure I don't want that, we don't have a high fuel temp indicator light. Fine reporting by the Chronicle.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20051110X01829&key=1

Sounds like it happened on takeoff, not a return to the airport. Notice that the NTSB says nothing about the SWA aircraft. The last time the airplane flew was back in January, and he may have rushed the takeoff due to the inbound emergency (my speculation.)

So basically there's a doctor flying a hangar-queen airplane who rushes his takeoff... sounds like a recipe for getting on the news to me.

Latest resources

Back