• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

plucky

Nov. 5, 2005, 11:49AM
2 die in small-plane crash at Hobby Airport

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
Two people died this morning around 10 a.m. when their twin engine plane, a Cessna Citation 3, crashed at Hobby Airport, officials said. The plane had been waiting on the runway to take off from Hobby to Corpus Christi when an incoming Southwest plane issued an alert, according to Tommy Dowdy, district chief for the Houston Fire Department.
Air traffic controllers then apparently told the Cessna to take off quickly, while diverting the Southwest plane to Bush Intercontinental Airport, where it landed safely.
The Cessna crashed while trying to land after the emergency take-off. Dowdy said it plunged nose first, tumbled over and skidded nearly 300 feet in the middle of the airport runway.

Last edited:
I better start reviewing my emergency takeoff procedures. Havent done one of those in a while.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just a matter of time before Houston ATC's preferential treatment of 737s caused an accident for someone else.

Moderator reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 737 was under distress according to Airport Ops here at IAH. There were a ton of fire truck and airport police around the plane

Citation II on a maintainance test flight. Owner/Physician PIC with a mecahnic along as an observer.

Soooooooo let me get this straight...the cessna was holding, then the SW 73 declared an emergency, so the cessna was given a t/o clearance. The 73 was diverted to IAH, and the cessna crashed on "return" to HOU some time later after the mx flight was over...again, sooooo what the heck does one have to do with the other?!?!?!? The cessna was returning to the field to "land" as was stated in the article, so it apparently was flying just fine before the accident, and the t/o just happened to be right ahead of a 73 that had an emergency. They really seem to have no significance with each other, maybe i am wrong.

starchkr said:
Soooooooo let me get this straight...the cessna was holding, then the SW 73 declared an emergency, so the cessna was given a t/o clearance.

I think you have it straight according to what little info we have, except one report said they were told to exit the runway to make room for the 737, and they departed instead. No telling if that is what really happened though.

The 73 was diverted to IAH, and the cessna crashed on "return" to HOU some time later after the mx flight was over...again, sooooo what the heck does one have to do with the other?!?!?!?

Again, I know shoot about it but one report said the citation took off (sounded like a rushed departure) and returned immediately with a problem. I guess a 'rushed-takeoff problem' could relate the two airplanes (remotely) but most takeoff problems bite you......on takeoff.

FBO Girl said:
The 737 was under distress according to Airport Ops here at IAH. There were a ton of fire truck and airport police around the plane
Yea, it's a daily occurance at every airport, every day. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't see cops or fire trucks with their lights flashing out on the airline ramp or the taxi ways.

How many times do airport operations have to be disrupted by an airliner parked out in the middle of a taxi way because a circuit breaker extended during flight?

I think they ought to foam the runway down in each case and send the bill to your airline. Jeez, between the Jet Blue fk up with 0-rings in the nose gear and Alaska airlines being required to video their maintainence operations, I'm begining to think that "one level of safety" has been rolled back to 134 and half levels.

Latest resources

Back