• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Craig Ferguson Show Last Night: Slams CAL, Praises DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I wanted to see the "Late Show" but got the "Late Late Show" with Craig Ferguson, WTF is up with that... To me this guy carries no credibility, as he is nothing more than an entertainer, a court jester, on par with Bozo the Clown. However I will say, he is right about this one. My point: too bad we can't get people with more clout and credibility to see this, no one is going to listen to this guy with a straight face.
This is exactly right. He is a "court jester" and if you've read Shakespeare you know that the role of the court jester was not primarily to make jokes, but to speak the truth through jokes. This was the only acceptable way to criticize those in power, especially the king. The court jester's comments typically represented what the average person could see was happening, but didn't have the voice to say it. Ferguson and all the other late night comedians fulfill this role. Corporate types and politicians ignore them at their own peril. Many have learned this by actually going on the shows that criticize them as was seen in the last election cycle.

In business, there is a monetary component to just about everything. What's CAL's advertising budget? Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions more likely. Ads, arena sponsorship, bought industry awards. That one clip on Craig Ferguson last night has probably undone millions of dollars of carefully crafted image-making by CAL. Every person who sees that clip will walk away with two things next time they sit in front of expedia, orbitz, or xyz.com travel site: Continental, bad; Delta, good. They may still choose CAL for other reasons, but they'll be working against the image that Ferguson skillfully painted.

An image by the way that could not have been painted so effectively by anyone but a comedian.

Last edited:
This is exactly right. He is a "court jester" and if you've read Shakespeare you know that the role of the court jester was not primarily to make jokes, but to speak the truth through jokes. This was the only acceptable way to criticize those in power, especially the king. The court jester's comments typically represented what the average person could see was happening, but didn't have the voice to say it. Ferguson and all the other late night comedians fulfill this role. Corporate types and politicians ignore them at their own peril. Many have learned this by actually going on the shows that criticize them as was seen in the last election cycle.

In business, there is a monetary component to just about everything. What's CAL's advertising budget? Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions more likely. Ads, arena sponsorship, bought industry awards. That one clip on Craig Ferguson last night has probably undone millions of dollars of carefully crafted image-making by CAL. Every person who sees that clip will walk away with two things next time they sit in front of expedia, orbitz, or xyz.com travel site: Continental, bad; Delta, good. They may still choose CAL for other reasons, but they'll be working against the image that Ferguson skillfully painted.

An image by the way that could not have been painted so effectively by anyone but a comedian.

Interesting fact. It's pure coincidence that I used that term to describe Craig. Either way, I prefer someone just to tell these CEOs how shameful they've made the industry, not sugarcoat it.

Craig Ferguson is a recently certified private pilot. I know, I know, just saying, he is an airplane guy.

tonight's episode 1000th (CBS Tues going on Weds: 12:37-1:37a eastern)

I wouldn't be surprised if he mentions it again and again and again. DVR (or watch) tonight's episode too, and he'll likely work it in it another way. (Although tonight's is the special celebration episode, so not sure if it is all prerecorded or what.
Great show anyway.

excellent observation, and I agree 100%

Says the guy that used to fly RJ's for XJT. ****************************** bag

Big deal so did I. And I'll say the same thing now that I said when I was there: 'Why the f*ck is CAL putting an RJ on this route!?!' Now days I also get to say 'Why the f*ck is Colgan on this'. My personal favorite is Connection/Express service between EWR/IAH and 'small' markets like ATL, BOS, MSP, and ORD. Kudos to Larry, Jeff, and the whole marketing team for p!ssing away our better customer base! Just pretend it's 1999 every year dear management.

Last edited:
Who's Craig Ferguson? I've never heard of him? A comedian?

He is not a very good comedian. I have tried to watch him, but I just don't think he is very clever.

He is too big of a moron to distinguish between mainline and the connection-you ain't missing much.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back