• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cracks found at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe that, on the outside, the focus appears to be not entirely focused on safety. It will be interesting to see if that apparent culture is a contributing factor in these missed inspections.

Here's a major gripe of mine regarding KOAK - maybe a Southwest guy can explain this.

Rwy 29 is 10,000' with water at or near both ends of the runway. Each of the past 4 times I've been in OAK, various Southwest aircraft request intersection "U" for departure in order to get out ahead of other aircraft. Why would you voluntarily give away 3000' of good runway to save a minute or two.

Using intersection "U" -

Is it safe? Probably

Is it legal? Probably

If you had a high speed abort and went off the end, where do you think the scrutiny or the media and the feds would fall - especially considering you voluntarily shortened the pavement by 30% to save time???

If the minimum wasn't the minimum, it wouldn't be the minimum. Perhaps SWA should only fly out of KEDW since they have around 16K of runway. Maybe they should only go to AMA and it's 14K or so. I gotta be honest...your argument is pretty dumb. Why did the airfield designers even create a U intersection?

I'm sure they have the stopping margin for the intersection take off.

The opposite of love is not hate, It's indifference.

You won't see me on a NWA, FDX, UPS ect. thread bashing them.

That's because I'm happy, not bitter. And I wish the best for everyone.

So for those of you who say you've never wanted anything to do with SWA, why are you even here? Bashing...

Yes, I know it's already been said.

Last edited:
If the minimum wasn't the minimum, it wouldn't be the minimum. Perhaps SWA should only fly out of KEDW since they have around 16K of runway. Maybe they should only go to AMA and it's 14K or so. I gotta be honest...your argument is pretty dumb. Why did the airfield designers even create a U intersection?

I'm sure they have the stopping margin for the intersection take off.

I couldn't disagree with you more - you've entirely missed the point of my questions. I'm not saying it's not safe - I believe in most instances it would be well within performance limits - however, it is an opperational decision that I believe voluntarily reduces safety margins to save time.

This is but one example of a perceived culture over there and it will be interesting to see if that 'corner cutting' mentality is part of why these inspections were missed.

Last edited:
- Smug, self-righteous SWA kool-aid drinker, completely devoid of objectivity and willing to sacrifice their integrity for their cult (waveflyer, whataburger, etc)

Kood-aid drinker - guilty as charged.

Devoid of objectivity - At times, sue me.

Remind me how I have sacrificed my integrity. You dont know an f-ing thing about me or who I am. Indeed this portion of your rant plays perfect with your post but is baseless. I personally did not see any cracks in the 737s I flew during the time period in question. I flew some 300s whose skin looked like a topography map, but I personally did not overlook a crack. In addition, maintenance did not contact me about this paperwork oversight. You are full of sh!t, and I would be more than happy to discuss this with you in a private message.

Do tell us the ground work in which you live your life by. Even Jesus might be jealous in the holy than thou, perfect way in which you conduct your life, and in the manner in which you interact with individuals in a personal and professional manner.

You've done an outstanding job at point the finger. Keep in mind when you point your finger, there's three fingers pointing back at you.

Remind me how I have sacrificed my integrity. You dont know an f-ing thing about me or who I am. Indeed this portion of your rant plays perfect with your post but is baseless. I personally did not see any cracks in the 737s I flew during the time period in question. I flew some 300s whose skin looked like a topography map, but I personally did not overlook a crack. In addition, maintenance did not contact me about this paperwork oversight. You are full of sh!t, and I would be more than happy to discuss this with you in a private message.

Do tell us the ground work in which you live your life by. Even Jesus might be jealous in the holy than thou, perfect way in which you conduct your life, and in the manner in which you interact with individuals in a personal and professional manner.

You've done an outstanding job at point the finger. Keep in mind when you point your finger, there's three fingers pointing back at you.
Don't even waste your time responding to this little kid. Its some 350 lb zit faced lard ass teen sitting behind a computer. I don't even want to ask what his keyboard and mouse look like from the "other web surfing he does........

You've been posting up and down this forum about how there was no way SWA could have possibly done anything wrong, how this would turn out to be nothing, why is everybody picking on us, boo hoo.

Your passengers' safety was compromised. Period.

Yet you continued to bury your head in the sand after the fact emerged that SWA skipped the inspections and, in fact, was flying unsafe aircraft. You even went so far as to try to convince others that all was wall. THAT is what I was referring to.

I believe that, on the outside, the focus appears to be not entirely focused on safety. It will be interesting to see if that apparent culture is a contributing factor in these missed inspections.

Here's a major gripe of mine regarding KOAK - maybe a Southwest guy can explain this.

Rwy 29 is 10,000' with water at or near both ends of the runway. Each of the past 4 times I've been in OAK, various Southwest aircraft request intersection "U" for departure in order to get out ahead of other aircraft. Why would you voluntarily give away 3000' of good runway to save a minute or two.

Using intersection "U" -

Is it safe? Probably

Is it legal? Probably

If you had a high speed abort and went off the end, where do you think the scrutiny or the media and the feds would fall - especially considering you voluntarily shortened the pavement by 30% to save time???

PositiveRate, the only time I have used U intersection at OAK was to meet an EDCT. You're right, I don't like giving up 3000 ft if I don't have to. However, If we don't have an acceptable stopping margin from U intersection we don't do it, we get in line an accept a later EDCT.

You've been posting up and down this forum about how there was no way SWA could have possibly done anything wrong, how this would turn out to be nothing, why is everybody picking on us, boo hoo.

Your passengers' safety was compromised. Period.

Yet you continued to bury your head in the sand after the fact emerged that SWA skipped the inspections and, in fact, was flying unsafe aircraft. You even went so far as to try to convince others that all was wall. THAT is what I was referring to.

Says the person with "Weed is what you need" as their tag.

Don't even waste your time responding to this little kid. Its some 350 lb zit faced lard ass teen sitting behind a computer. I don't even want to ask what his keyboard and mouse look like from the "other web surfing he does........

ok, done.

Using intersection "U" -

Is it safe? Probably

Is it legal? Probably

Give me a break. Based on your argument I can assume that you ALWAYS depart from the LONGEST available runway at any given airport? Doubt it. So you've NEVER landed on 25L at PHX? You are, after all, VOLUNTARILY giving up 3600' of runway by not landing on 26. You're either legal or you're not. Your argument would turn every airport into a single runway operation.

Latest resources

Back