Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could Southwest's run of profitability be coming to an end?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you get to age 60 you can make your own mind up at that point to see if you will stay or go early. Nice choice to have. ;)

Unfortunately Jim, it was Age 60 changing that took my choice away. I could have left at 60 and lived comfortably, but now without the hundreds of retirements coming, I will not see the "First Best Job" for a few more years. Couple that with the loss of the 401k compounding plus greater PS contributions, I might just have to work the 5 extra years just to see another 2 years of Captains pay. But enough about that, I am sure the last few Captains I have flown with are sick of my ongoing rants about the subject.

It wasn't fair last November when it went to 65 and it wasn't fair back in 1959 in my Dads generation either when they made it age 60. Things change and we all have to make the best of it, for better or worse.

I feel for ya, I really do. Everyone deserves to get there shot at the helm. You are fortunately young enough to weather this current storm. There are others that arnt as fortunate.

It wasn't fair last November when it went to 65 and it wasn't fair back in 1959 in my Dads generation either when they made it age 60. Things change and we all have to make the best of it, for better or worse.

I feel for ya, I really do. Everyone deserves to get there shot at the helm. You are fortunately young enough to weather this current storm. There are others that arnt as fortunate.

What will happen if SWA furloughs within the next ten years?? I hope for the sake of the company and the culture that it doesn't. I am sure Paul and Stan will say or do nothing about the pilots that will be on the street thanks to the extra 5 years they got. I have yet to hear the age 65 coalition leaders even mention anyone except themselves. Paul wrote letters claiming he was a hero for his efforts but never once wrote about the guys at the bottom whose lives have completely changed for the extra 5 years they got. The oldest guy in my class might never see the left seat at SWA...even worse guys might end up in the street thanks to age 65 (not just at SWA). I understand the rule and how it had to change, but in the end this was not about the age...it was about individual needs. It seems selfish of the coalition not to even address the problems they caused for fellow pilots on their seniority list.

There are "NO" guarantees that were made to you in Aviation! Not then and definitely not now! There are so many variables that are out of your direct control, so you are in it like the rest of it. My best advice is to do whats best for you and your family and always plan on the worst case scenario. It has served me and my family well through my 3 airlines.

My Hats off to Paul for spending 10 years of his life, time off and personal money to work for change in what he believed in. This is America, feel free to do the same with your beliefs.

Sorry for getting of the orginal intention of this thread. My Guess is 22 Million profit for the first quarter.

[

Sorry for getting of the orginal intention of this thread. My Guess is 22 Million profit for the first quarter.[/quote]

Jim,
My guess is closer to 200 million profit first quarter,
i just read SWA is sitting on 3,000 million profit from
fuel hedges this year alone!
Gary is losing sleep trying to figure how to hide all the money.
FI guys will have go back to the "they only made money because of the hedges" after SWA reports.

I hope your right but the first quarter is not noted to be the big money maker. If past performance is any indication to what we have to look forward to, I will stick with my guess. ;)

Young Enough?

Define young enough.

That would be Pilots that spent there 20+ years in the military and retired out. Got with an airline, had the left seat set back due to the age 65 issue and wont have many/any years at the helm once they get there. The 2 SW FO's that were just discussing this (SWA FO and Cayon Blue) the page before on this thread are relatively young compared to the above reference and will get there turn.

Latest resources

Back