Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flyin Tony said:
But I dont think our plane has all the SB done because there is alot of them

As I am sure you are aware Tony, you don't have to comply to SB's unless they are mandatory. There is one on my plane that I didn't do because the mechanic said the cure was worse than the disease. Some of them are rediculous but you still have to comply if it's 135.

I just wanted to make sure the guy doesn't get the false impression that annuals should cost 400 bucks. Maybe after a firewall foreward overhaul and IFR check but SB's come out almost monthly on old planes and even new ones. So keeping up with an old plane ensuring airworthiness can be quite expensive as you found out.

My annuals, owner assisted, range from 1300-10K, it depends on what comes up, watch out for recurrent AD's too, they can easily make or break an otherwise great deal on a plane.

Buyer beware!

As I am sure you are aware Tony, you don't have to comply to SB's unless they are mandatory. There is one on my plane that I didn't do because the mechanic said the cure was worse than the disease. Some of them are rediculous but you still have to comply if it's 135.

I just wanted to make sure the guy doesn't get the false impression that annuals should cost 400 bucks. Maybe after a firewall foreward overhaul and IFR check but SB's come out almost monthly on old planes and even new ones. So keeping up with an old plane ensuring airworthiness can be quite expensive as you found out.

My annuals, owner assisted, range from 1300-10K, it depends on what comes up, watch out for recurrent AD's too, they can easily make or break an otherwise great deal on a plane.

Buyer beware!

Yes I see what you are saying
A few months after we got our plane the bills starting comming in. I bet my Mom dosent have the cards paid off from aircraftspruce yet. But yes they are money pits.
I think most of all you pay for what you get. If your going to buy a 200k 1970 172 I bet you wouldn't have to do a thing to the plane, But if you get a 20K 1970 172 you are going to be in for it

Hope this helps Tony

All I'm saying is that people get closed in on the a/c they trained in. Doesn't sound like this guy is trying to make money running lobsters, he just wants a plane. Which everyone here can at the very least understand.

I can't agree that a high wing is a great cross country airplane. After houndreds of hours in both cherokee 14/60s, 172 (6cyl and 4), 150/2, all down the line; a high wing rides crappier. It feels like I'm swinging from a pendulum in anything other than dawn air.

Another thing I forgot to add was that if we open this discussion up to the levels of Turbo 182 RGs and 210s, we are well beyond a 172. I can't think of many cases where I would rather be in a T182RG then a older Bonanza or Mooney. Unless I'm hauling cow poop from the midwest.

Last edited:
ISaidRightTurns said:
All I'm saying is that people get closed in on the a/c they trained in. Doesn't sound like this guy is trying to make money running lobsters, he just wants a plane. Which everyone here can at the very least understand.

I can't agree that a high wing is a great cross country airplane. After houndreds of hours in both cherokee 14/60s, 172 (6cyl and 4), 150/2, all down the line; a high wing rides crappier. It feels like I'm swinging from a pendulum in anything other than dawn air.

Hence the never ending "High wing, Low wing" debate.

No doubt, a Cherokee 6 is a great plane, I love those things. When it comes down to that or a 182RG, it's just a matter of person preference I guess.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back