• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cost of buying a used Cessna-172?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You had better think about what type of flying you will do. When I bought my first plane, I had been renting 172s and the old guys at the FBO, as nice as they were, only knew 172s. There are alot of planes out there, and many people feel comfortable in something they train in, that is understandable. But I think a high wing single cessna is the worst cross country machine made in the last 40 years. Its great for training (spring steel gear, big doors, docile), but it isn't very fast or after a few hundred hours, not very fun. Look and some cherokee 180s and Grummans. I remember hearing that grummans on average were the best deal $/kts.

Airplanes are money pits. Be ready to spend about 2 g's every annual unless you are an A&P. There is always some little thing breaking. You have to fly them often to keep them in good running condition.

I know a guy with a C172 who went to Italy for 3 months and let his plane just sit on the ramp. When he returned, he had to buy a new attitude indicator and replace a lot of hoses. That was about 2 G's. He finally decided to give me the keys so that I could exercise it when he was out of the country and he has had less repair costs. Since I quit flight instructing, he has passed the keys to some other lucky person.

I just got a VFR only transponder check at a bargin basement price of $75.00. Fuel is up to $3.00 a gallon. My husband is a A&P and we had to replace all rubber fuel hoses because of deterrioration. If he wasn't a mechanic, it probably would have cost us at least 1K. We need to spend about 2K on our next annual and my husband is doing all the work. Granted we have a 1952 PA20, but older airplanes always need something every annual.

Shop around for insurence. I could get insurence on a C172 for about $250 a year. I think that you have to have a commercial license or better and at least 500 hours for that price.

On the plus side. I have a friend who has a 1980 C172 on leaseback at a very, very busy flight school and he is making about 1000 a month after insurence and maintenance. You might think about going that route.

Stay away from the M models. The have a lot of electrical problems.

Always get a prebuy from an A&P that you trust. Be wary of planes on EBAY. I know too many people who have been burned.

ISaidRightTurns said:
But I think a high wing single cessna is the worst cross country machine made in the last 40 years.

Are you high?

Are you telling me a 210, T182RG are also the worst x-country machines built in the last 40 years?

Sorry, I think they are the best. What else will haul what you can shove in it and go 1100 miles, land short and climb like a bottle rocket?

Try getting some of the planes you mentioned serviced let alone finding parts.

I agree the 172 is not the best x-country machine in the world but you didn't say that, you said the above, I hope that was a mistake.

It has been quoted and said by almost every aviation publication that the 182 was and still is the best all around airplane ever built. It does everything good, not great but good. It has a perfect balance for load carrying and fuel consumption, comfort, range, you name it.

Just because it's a "high wing" doesn't mean it's a 172.

Last edited:
Airplanes are money pits. Be ready to spend about 2 g's every annual unless you are an A&P

Thats far from the truth. The first annual on our comanche cost 240$ thats right 240$ any dumba$$ can pull off the inspection panels and have a IA look up there.

ISaidRightTurns said:
But I think a high wing single cessna is the worst cross country machine made in the last 40 years. Its great for training (spring steel gear, big doors, docile), but it isn't very fast or after a few hundred hours, not very fun. Look and some cherokee 180s and Grummans. I remember hearing that grummans on average were the best deal $/kts.

Golly, I had no idea Cessna were such lousy airplanes for X-Countrys.

1978 Grumman Cheetah 1975 C-172

Cruise 75% 128 kts 120 kts
Cruise 65% 118 kts 115 kts

Std Useful Load 938 930

Sevice Ceiling 12,650 13,100

Seats 4 4

Baggage Cap 120 120

(source, Plane & Pilot web site)

So, on a 300 mile leg, that Grumman gets you there 9 whole minutes quicker (at 75%) carrying 8 more pounds according to factory specs. And you can also open the canopy a couple inches and wear a leather flight helmet. :rolleyes:

I did some compairisons on Vref, using 1978 models, with 4000TT and 1000 SMOH, and only specifying a King KX155 w/GS as the only radio upgrade for both. The C-172 is worth $55,984, while the Cheetah was only worth $40,639. So you're right, the Cheetah is more "bang for the buck", but then you've got to ask youself why people are willing to pay $15K more for the Cessna. (Insurance, spares, reliability, adaptability???)

And, btw, a 1978 Piper Archer, (Cherokee 180) Vref value is $68,327, another $13K more than the Cessna...

My Cessna does just dandy on 600 mile trips. Beats the heck outta driving for 12 hours... :cool:

Last edited:
Flyin Tony said:
Thats far from the truth. The first annual on our comanche cost 240$ thats right 240$ any dumba$$ can pull off the inspection panels and have a IA look up there.

An annual consists of a bit more than "pulling panels" if done properly. I know guys in AK that think if an annual cost more than 100 bucks you are getting ripped off.

When it comes to my life, I want even SB's taken care of on my part 91 plane. What about compression and leak checks, IFR checks every 2 years? He will want this since he will be using it to get ALL his ratings.

I agree that pulling panels is an easy way to save money, but a good annual entails alot more than that.

Well if your plane has all the ADs and SBs done and nothing is wrong with it then there is not much to do. Now before the annual we put 20k into it. 2 fuelpumps turned into a big mess

Origionally posted by: Flyin Tony
Well if your plane has all the ADs and SBs done and nothing is wrong with it then there is not much to do. Now before the annual we put 20k into it. 2 fuelpumps turned into a big mess

Well, It is still a money pitt. Even though you didn't spend the money at annual. If you hadn't done it before the annual, it probably would have come up at annual.

All AD's have been complied with on my aircraft. There are some recurring ADs that have to be done periodically. All that I am saying is that owning an aircraft is more expensive than most people anticipate. Especially an older one. Be prepared.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back