• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CorpLearDriver

Type aircraft owned
AA-5A
Base airport
KHOU
Ratings
ATP-AMEL, CFI, CFII, CFI-ME, & CFI-G, Type Ratings: ATR 42, ATR 72, CL-600, EMB-145, G100, HS-125, IA-1125, LR-60, LR-JET,
I'm researching Corrosion Corner (otherwise known as Cockroach Corner) that use to be on the NW corner of KMIA. I've checked a lot of internet sources and also have several other resources since I am based in the South Florida area and fly all over the Caribbean. However, more resources are always good as I'm in the middle of a writing project that revolves around this historical place. I know what is left of it has moved to KOPF and there was a smaller "corner" at KFLL. I just want to get as much information as I can come up with prior to beginning the writing portion of my project. Thanks.

BR44 said:
My Dad spent many hours there in the 60s, What is it your looking for ?

Recomended books on the place, personalities of people who might have worked there, picture sources, the layout, trivia, web sources not easily found by googling, that sort of thing. I'm preparing to write a novel and want to give it all the depth and texture possible. So right now I'm reading and collecting all the information and just absorbing all I can before I begin really writing it at the end of the year. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Try reading Moon Dogs Academy of the Air and other disasters by Pete Fusco. Theres one chapter dedicated to the corner. The rest of the books a great read too.

cl65capt said:
Try reading Moon Dogs Academy of the Air and other disasters by Pete Fusco. Theres one chapter dedicated to the corner. The rest of the books a great read too.

Thanks I'll check it out.

CorpLearDriver said:
Recomended books on the place, personalities of people who might have worked there, picture sources, the layout, trivia, web sources not easily found by googling, that sort of thing. I'm preparing to write a novel and want to give it all the depth and texture possible. So right now I'm reading and collecting all the information and just absorbing all I can before I begin really writing it at the end of the year. Thanks for your reply.

Go to Bryson's off 36th street....Sit down at the bar (dead pecker row) and wait for some old timers to roll in. I'm sure the stories will improve as the booze flows. Ask about the DC-8 with 5 engines.

Isn't the corner a big UPS/Fedex ramp now?

The FLL corner is being squeezed out too.

OPS is now where alot of birds go to die.
(except the DC-3's. I think they'll fly forever).

CE

freightdogfred said:
Go to Bryson's off 36th street....Sit down at the bar (dead pecker row) and wait for some old timers to roll in. I'm sure the stories will improve as the booze flows. Ask about the DC-8 with 5 engines.

Ask about a guy named Fuzzy Furlong. I used to watch him chop up -6's, -7's, and Connies as a kid in the late 60's. They sold hot dogs and it was a macabre, carnival atmosphere as they destroyed some of the best airplanes ever built.

There is an old guy that works for Signature I talked to a couple weeks ago. He drives the van to the terminal and hotels and does other things there Im sure. Forgot his name. After talking to him a bit, come to find out he said he is currently the longest continuesly employed person on the Miami airport, something like 30-40 years. Supposedly his father was the first officer on Easterns maiden flight and he was once an Eastern mechanic as well. Track him down and Im sure he can help.

Keep us posted.

cf

Latest resources

Back