Corrosion Corner KMIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
freightdogfred said:
Go to Bryson's off 36th street....Sit down at the bar (dead pecker row) and wait for some old timers to roll in. I'm sure the stories will improve as the booze flows. Ask about the DC-8 with 5 engines.

Is this the watering hole that was described to me like the alien bar on the edge of the galaxy in the original Star Wars trillogy?

CrimsonEclipse said:
Isn't the corner a big UPS/Fedex ramp now?

The FLL corner is being squeezed out too.

OPS is now where alot of birds go to die.
(except the DC-3's. I think they'll fly forever).

CE

There are a few old grounded YS-11s at FLL. But the little "corner" I was talking about doesn't exist there anymore either. The FEDEX and National Jets ramps covers most of it. They operated a fleet of DC-6s there. The people at National Jets are very helpful to me as I base our company's G-100 there and have done business with them for a number of years.

cheyflyer said:
There is an old guy that works for Signature I talked to a couple weeks ago. He drives the van to the terminal and hotels and does other things there Im sure. Forgot his name. After talking to him a bit, come to find out he said he is currently the longest continuesly employed person on the Miami airport, something like 30-40 years. Supposedly his father was the first officer on Easterns maiden flight and he was once an Eastern mechanic as well. Track him down and Im sure he can help.

Keep us posted.

cf

Thanks, this is just the kind of person I'd like to get in contact with. I'll check him out.

I'd be very intersted in this book when it comes out, one of the few things I like about this area is the variety of aircraft sitting around and rotting, and in the case of OPF, still flying. If you ever need help with research, or just legwork, let me know, I'm always poking around the local airports.

I did a google earth search on miami airport, and saw a cluster of planes on the north side around a building with A-bourne written on the roof, and some tails sticking out of the hangars next to it. Is that the imfamous "cockroach corner"?

time builder said:
I did a google earth search on miami airport, and saw a cluster of planes on the north side around a building with A-bourne written on the roof, and some tails sticking out of the hangars next to it. Is that the imfamous "cockroach corner"?

No, the "corner" was pretty much gone by the mid-90s due to the City of Miami's plan to change the airport's image. UPS has a lot of the space and there are other operators there too. But, a huge chunch of the corner was lost to the new runway on the north side of the airport. GAC, or General Aviation Customs is still there along with airport operations where you pay your landing fees. Both were in mobile office buildings the last time I was in there last year. There are of course, still many feeders for UPS, Airborne and the like, that show up on the GAC ramp and service various places in the Caribbean. But most of it was moved over to OPF years ago and that place is only a shadow of what was at MIA.

There are still some old planes on the north side at MIAnear the maintenance facilities that probably will never fly again: L-1011, TMA 727, DC-8. Also FXE has a little junk yard on the north east corner, mostly small commuter stuff like B1900, metro, c402

Groundpounder said:
I'd be very intersted in this book when it comes out, one of the few things I like about this area is the variety of aircraft sitting around and rotting, and in the case of OPF, still flying. If you ever need help with research, or just legwork, let me know, I'm always poking around the local airports.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

Latest resources

Back