Corporate to SWA

Melon

Big Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Posts
77
Total Time
6000
Anyone know what the chances are for a guy with prior 121 time that is current 91 getting on at SWA? Oh yeah, no type or degree either. Try not to laugh too hard. What about the same as above with type and no 121? Or with type and 121 experience? Any/all thoughts are appreciated. Both senerios are guys with 5000+, several jet types and a lot of it PIC.
 

Mr Hat

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Posts
483
Total Time
6500
You have to have the 737 type....they can overlook the rest. Getting into SWA is very competetive, however I interviewed and I do not have a degree. I am part 121 regional but to be honest with you I don't really think SW cares about 135 vs 121. The one thing they rarely overlook (I say rarely because people DO get hired without it, just not very often) is the 737 type. If your serious about a career with SW, you should get the type. Good Luck!!!
 

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Posts
1,981
Total Time
4500
Seems like SWA interviews a good mix of 121, 135, 91, freight, military, etc. guys. I've heard of and seen tons of people from every walk of aviation getting a shot a the flying corn dogs. However, seems like SWA is hiring about 25% of the people they interview now. No way am I gonna drop $7000 bucks for a 1 in 4 chance at a job. I'd be happy to pay for a type if you hire me. But if you don't what the hell am I going to do with a B-737 type? I might as well take that $7K to Vegas and drop it on Black at the roulette table. I have better odds of making something out of it then. It's just not worth it, not to me. But then again, what the blazin' hell do I know? SWA has guys lined up at every jackoff with a 737 sim and a DE certificate with $7 grand to burn. Maybe I'm missing something.
 

Whataburger

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Posts
2,961
Total Time
40teen
I bet the 1 in 4 chance of getting hired at SWA is a bit better than taking that same 7 grand to Vegas and coming home with anything.
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
Whataburger said:
I bet the 1 in 4 chance of getting hired at SWA is a bit better than taking that same 7 grand to Vegas and coming home with anything.

. . . . . . Except maybe an unpronounceable disease (with apologies to Frank Zappa).

Heh-heh. That 737 type on your certificate may have the same appeal to future employers as a venereal disease, should you not get hired at SWA. Expect the question, for sure.
 
Last edited:

Slug

SWA Line Swine
Joined
Dec 6, 2001
Posts
496
Total Time
5000
I had it and got offers from two other carriers.

Slug
 

Bobby Orr 4

Just happy to be here.
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Posts
213
Total Time
6500
I certainly respect an individual's choice they make in regarding to their career. Some people cannot afford to drop the money on a type, some will not do it on principle alone, or a list of many other reasons.
Would I have prefered to get the job first then get the type?? Of course. That was not the case this past summer but I guess things are changing as far as interviews without a type.
I will not speak for anybody else on this board but I will tell you what you were missing when it came to my decision to get the type without even an interview. It was a $7500 investment in myself. I have the confidence in my own abilities that if I were to receive an interview I would be 1 of the 4 that was hired. My current employer also kept me highly motivated to find another flying job.
If you do not want to get the type before the job offer that is fine. Like I stated guys are receiving interviews without a type these days. Fly as much as possible and update often. I have no regrets in my decisions but also realize I am very blessed and proud of my accomplishments.
Good luck to all.
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
Slug said:
I had it and got offers from two other carriers.

Slug
How nice for you, sir . . . .

I didn't say the type was the "kiss of death", but the question will come up, especially in the corporate world.

Also, it is easier for a milspec pilot to say, "Well, Uncle Sam provided a type rating under the G.I. Bill, so I chose the world's most popular airliner" then it is for a corporate guy to say, "It was a Christmas present from my oil-heiress wife".
 

BOZO

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Posts
81
Total Time
enough
What's the big deal if the question comes up in an interview at a corporate job? Anybody who understands the current market should be able to understand why somebody would have a 737 type. If a corporate employer would look down on a candidate who has one they're not worth working for in the first place! ;)
 

Formula 1

Do you want to go flying?
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Posts
114
Total Time
2:30pm
Melon said:
Anyone know what the chances are for a guy with prior 121 time that is current 91 getting on at SWA? Oh yeah, no type or degree either. Try not to laugh too hard. What about the same as above with type and no 121? Or with type and 121 experience? Any/all thoughts are appreciated. Both senerios are guys with 5000+, several jet types and a lot of it PIC.
Melon,

Congrats on getting the type! Are you a Checkairman? I asked a HR person about a friend who did apply, but did not have a degree, and what are his chances of getting hired at SW. The HR person wanted to know if he was a checkairman or not. Without a degree they want to see some type of leadership position. My friend was not a checkairman but became one. 4 months later he was offered an interview and its next week. I hope this helps.

Best of Luck!
 
Last edited:

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
Cram it, clown!

BOZO said:
If a corporate employer would look down on a candidate who has one they're not worth working for in the first place! ;)
Yeah . . . I'm sure if they are considering spending $50K to type a guy in a G-Whiz or equivalent, they wouldn't worry about whether this person is trying to get on with an airline.
 

BOZO

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Posts
81
Total Time
enough
Cool your turbines...

Ty Webb said:
Yeah . . . I'm sure if they are considering spending $50K to type a guy in a G-Whiz or equivalent, they wouldn't worry about whether this person is trying to get on with an airline.
Fair and valid argument Ty. However, an employer who believes that just because a guy has a 737 type he'll "jump ship and run" if we type him in our G-Whiz is pretty insecure. It's amazing how a lot of employers seem to think that way. Sure...some have been burned by pilots who want to be sneaky...but that's usually because it was said employer who bent them over first.
 

SWAdude

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 3, 2003
Posts
634
Total Time
21,000
Ty Webb said:
That 737 type on your certificate may have the same appeal to future employers as a venereal disease, should you not get hired at SWA. Expect the question, for sure.
Ty I think you insinuated more than just being questioned in an interview.

Unless you think being known with venereal disease as only a minor inconvenience.
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
SWAdude said:
Ty I think you insinuated more than just being questioned in an interview.

Unless you think being known with venereal disease as only a minor inconvenience.
??????????? Not sure what you're getting at. Speaka de english, my swinging friend?
 

Slug

SWA Line Swine
Joined
Dec 6, 2001
Posts
496
Total Time
5000
I don't have a venereal disease, but I did have a 737 type on my ticket when I interviewed at other non-737 carriers. One did not ask about the type and the other mentioned it in passing. I simply stated I was trying to keep all options open.

And Ty, (love your screenname, by the way) As for your sarcastic
How nice for you, sir . . . .
I wasn't bragging, just letting you know that a 73 type on a ticket does not end in
That 737 type on your certificate may have the same appeal to future employers as a venereal disease
.
 

K-Mart

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Posts
317
Total Time
...
Ty Webb said:
. . . . . . Except maybe an unpronounceable disease (with apologies to Frank Zappa).

Heh-heh. That 737 type on your certificate may have the same appeal to future employers as a venereal disease, should you not get hired at SWA. Expect the question, for sure.
This board has great advice, coming from those with past experiences!!!!:p
 
Top