Corporate Shuttle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Peardc10

Looking for advice for a corporate shuttle, looking for an aircraft that would meet our companies objectives.

Aircraft that is fuel efficient for short haul routes, has good short field capabilities- 3500 ft runways, yet could carry out other missions through out the US. Since we operate in the Northern US, would also like the a/c to have a APU for winter time operation. The aircraft would need to haul 8 passengers and be economically feasible.

I am in the early stages of gathering information and would like any informative comments that could help me out. This is not a done deal yet, but would like any valuable information you could provide.

Thanks for your help.:confused:

If I remember correctly the Brasillia has an APU. I would think it would be good for short hauls and longer hauls as well. If you dont need an APU get a King Air 350. But if you want a jet - try the Citation Excel... excellant short field capabilities.

Depends on your budget.

Cappy

Peardc10 said:
Looking for advice for a corporate shuttle, looking for an aircraft that would meet our companies objectives.

Aircraft that is fuel efficient for short haul routes, has good short field capabilities- 3500 ft runways, yet could carry out other missions through out the US. Since we operate in the Northern US, would also like the a/c to have a APU for winter time operation. The aircraft would need to haul 8 passengers and be economically feasible.

I am in the early stages of gathering information and would like any informative comments that could help me out. This is not a done deal yet, but would like any valuable information you could provide.

Thanks for your help.:confused:

Falcon 50EX... Good short field performance, good economy, coast-to-coast range, can carry 9+ passengers, has an APU...

We operated a Saab shuttle for about 2 years, it didn't work out well...

There were 4 built by Saab as corporate versions from the start. All have APU's installed in the aft portion that can be operated in the air. The main problem with ours was the fact that it was soo heavy on empty weight combined with the fact that it was an A model which is under powered to begin with. An example, level at 12000' in icing conditions we were unable to make it to 14000' to get in the clear with the engine anti-ice on... :eek:

Also, the best TAS we ever saw was 245 kts... Pretty slow, especially if your passengers are used to traveling at jet speed.

The other problem we ran in to was support. Seemed like that there were very few loaner parts available and it took forever to get anything.

"B" models might not be that bad, I've never flown one...

As for the prop brake, I don't know how that works we never used ours. In Chautauqua's A models the thing was disabled.

3500' strips
APU
8 Pax
Good Performance
Reliability
Decent Range

I agree.....sounds like a Falcon 50EX to me!

Can you live without the APU and the Range and dont mind looking ar props??...maybe a King Air 200/200/350???

I'll throw my support for the King Air. You can't beat the King Air 350 for this type mission - but it is a turboprop and has no APU.

CL

There are plenty of aircraft out there that would fill your needs based on the info you've provided. However, more information will give us a better understanding.

What is your typical mission length?
How often do you need to go "throughout the U.S."?
etc.

There are a host of Citations out there that would fit most of your needs, however, the 3500' runway will pose problems, even for the Citation. As I'm sure you're aware, toss in a little water, slush or snow, and you'll be limited on that runway.

As far as an aicraft with an APU, you're talking larger, which again will limit your operations at that short field.

Yes, the CRJ would be a nice aircraft to shuttle pax around in, however, I'm sure you don't need a 50 pax aircraft for 8 passengers. The few turbo props that are out there will fill many needs, but will make long flights a hassle if you need to stop and refuel.

I flew a C501 for several years and it was common to load 7 pax and luggage (a tight fit) and fly our routine shuttle run. However, with a full load of people and winter headwinds, we sometimes had to stop for fuel on a 380NM flight. The Citation II later cured that problem.

Now, if you have frequent flights 1200 NM or more, the 50/50EX stands out. Great short field performance, excellent range, etc. There are a number of used straight 50s on the market that have already received their RVSM / TCAS / TAWS approval. A few have the engine / avionics upgrades as well. However, maintenance on Falcons isn't inexpensive and, with all aircraft, the old they are, generally speaking, the more the maintenance costs.

I'd, of course, recommend the 2000. Good short field performance (though 3500 feet poses some problems), outstanding fuel specifics. Fantastic cabin for short or long flights. Used 2000's can be had starting at $16M or so. But, I'm biased!:D

Regards,
2000Flyer

Additional Information

Our typical shuttle mission would be under 300nm. We would run the shuttle probably 3 times a week with the other days to allow travel to other plants in the US. This would include trips to FL, AZ and to the East Coast.

I would like to keep the price of the a/c under 10Million, probably less if possible. When I said the a/c needed to get into 3500 ft strips-reality is its closer to 4500 ft. There is one location that is 3500 ft. If conditions are not right, we have a close alternate airport with a longer runway.

I appreciate all the input, the information you provided has given me some good ideas to think over. I'll be gathering and reviewing a lot of material in the next few months.

Thanks again!

You'll have to let us know what you end up getting (and why you got it), when you finally get it. Inquiring mimes want to know!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back