Corporate pilot position

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DHPFLYN

I am just curious how most of you heard about your current positions? Is it word of mouth? Looking up company websites all day long?

Any help would be great

Thanks

In my experience most have come from networking. Also, the fact that you have a type rating in the given equipment is usually important. With regard to internet postings, I found very low response unless you have time in the type they are looking at.

If you live in the area you wish to work and there are flight departments, cold calling to drop a resume is good. You may not get a job right away, but that is good networking. By the third time you visit they know you.

GOOD LUCK!!

networking

All of my jobs (both good and not so good ones) were from networking. One thing we all need to remember is networking is a 2-way street. I spend a good part of my week helping guys get a front seat or at least a chance to interview.

The magic formula for success IMHO would be a Local Pilot, Type Rated, A good guy (or lady) known by someone in the department or a friend of a trusted aquaintaince.

The degree of difficulty for this manuever is a 9.0

We start deducting for not being typed (currency not an issue - we can use you as SIC until a school slot opens up). Additional deductions may occur for not being local. My last Relo cost the company about $35K. The judges may deduct for not knowing anyone within the flight department or not having an internal recommendation.

Of course, if you have a reputation as being a real nozzle, that is an automatic DQ.

My advice is to be nice to everyone you meet. You never know who your next boss might be.

I just got on with a 91 company that has only hired within for over 20 years. No walk-ins ever.

I was working for a low rent 135 operator (the CP was a little bitch with Nepolean complex who flunked out of ASA's initial and the ASST CP was the worst pilot I had ever flown with who'll be the subject and focus of an NTSB report in the not too distant future) when I applied for this job. I was not hired, but told I would be called when/if this position ever became open again; Yeah Right! Well, sure enough, when the position came open again a couple of years later, I got a call and email out of the blue asking if I was still interested, and oh, by the way, we sold the midsize jet and the G450 is less than 3 weeks from showing up, so we'll be sending you for a type right away. Went and interviewed, that went well, and now here I am, fresh out of school with a G450 (GV) type in my pocket, excellent salary, full benefits, cash bonus (the green stuff), what's a pop-up trip?, all pt 91, swap legs, airplane owner is as cool as they come, and the CP goes out of his way to make sure I have nothing to complain about. Sometimes it's word of mouth, and other times things just fall into your lap. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back