• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Corporate Ethics in the Fortune 50 Departments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You were probably overqualified. Most Fortune companies have plenty of senior intl PIC's and they don't need another one off the street. They may have been looking for an SIC that they could upgrade to intl PIC in 1-3 years. Maybe they felt your ego couldn't handle being an SIC for that long.

I second this.
It happened to me a few years ago. I was a Lear 60 captain with lots of time when I went for a job with a Fortune 100 company. Throughout the interview the DO asked me if I was sure if I'd be ok with being an copilot. I finally asked him (after he asked me for the tenth time); "I will get to fly the airplane?" He said "oh sure. Once your here for a year you can fly the plane in cruise and after a few year you can fly it in climbs and descents." WOW THANKS!!!!! If that was his definition of an SIC, he was right, I wasn't the man for the job.
They were looking for someone who would just be happy to sit right seat in a brand new G-550 and wouldn't question them. He also told me that he had a stack of resumes from guys with more then 10,000 hrs and over 5,000 in type and that he wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole because "that isn't what I'm looking for."
Now I'm not saying that all fortune companies are like this, the one I work for now is just the opposite, but some are this way.

Throughout the interview the DO asked me if I was sure if I'd be ok with being an copilot. I finally asked him (after he asked me for the tenth time); "I will get to fly the airplane?" He said "oh sure. Once your here for a year you can fly the plane in cruise and after a few year you can fly it in climbs and descents."

Bahahahaha. It would have been really hard holding back my laughter if I had heard that. From indications coming from people "in the know..." the individual that was granted employment was a instructor in the forementioned aircraft. Not only ZERO PIC but ZERO in the actual aircraft.:eek: You just never know. Thanks again for all the responses.......

Not surprising at all. FSI/CAE is the best networking opportunity we all have easy access to. Don't step on your d!ck while you're there, you never know who may be watching.:D

He said "oh sure. Once your here for a year you can fly the plane in cruise and after a few year you can fly it in climbs and descents."

Maybe I'm off base here but did he expect you'd go to sim every 90 days to maintain currency? The attitude of SICs not flying is one of the dumbest things I think a PIC or Chief Pilot can have.

Maybe I'm off base here but did he expect you'd go to sim every 90 days to maintain currency? The attitude of SICs not flying is one of the dumbest things I think a PIC or Chief Pilot can have.

as SIC you legally only need the 3 Take offs and landings once per year, correct? not saying I agree with what they wanted, just speaking FAR wise.

I've been lucky enough to be interviewed at a few fortune 500 companies as well and everyone that was hired was either an internal recommendation or a well thought of contractor; even had one chief pilot tell me as much ("Don't take it personally if you don't get selected...). Network your tail off and accept contract work everywhere, you'll eventually get in somewhere.

I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement and truly have alot of respect for the management of this company. Even after choosing the other individual, I received a phone call from almost every manager in the department showing me gratitude for flying in twice to meet them. Just shows there are still some incredibly classy departments/jobs still out there.

As a Chief pilot, I look for guys that have experience and are willing to admit thier mistakes. Too many guys in this industury have egos too large to admit when the're wrong or take the time to check the experation dates on the chips in the snack basket. I like guys that are willing to swallow thier pride and clean a lav or grab a vacum. I don't want a total type "b" personality but I don't want to argue with someone when I need something done.
It's not easy to find good people. Nut one thing I look for is someone that says to me... Just tell me what kind of pilot you need and I will be that man.

Latest resources

Back