Corporate Ethics in the Fortune 50 Departments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CorpCaptain

For the 3rd time in the last 6mo I have interviewed with a different Fortune 50 company. Throughout each interview I have acted as professional as possible and carried great conversation with each member of the flight department from top to bottom. Even worked through college at one of them. Each stressed numerous times that "We are hiring the person, not the type...". All three times I have gotten to the last 2 interviewing and have been beaten out by a individual with whatever type was desired, regardless of education, flight time or international expierence. I understand that I might be losing the job to a guy that "fits" better, but I find it hard to believe that is the case when all three are typed and have a weaker resume. It's unfortunate, but it's life I suppose. I just wish that when you interviewed that they would be upfront as to their hiring practices as opposed to getting sunshine blown up your a**. Wishful thinking I suppose. Any ideas about what I could change? Thanks in advance....
Corp

For the 3rd time in the last 6mo I have interviewed with a different Fortune 50 company. Throughout each interview I have acted as professional as possible and carried great conversation with each member of the flight department from top to bottom. Even worked through college at one of them. Each stressed numerous times that "We are hiring the person, not the type...". All three times I have gotten to the last 2 interviewing and have been beaten out by a individual with whatever type was desired, regardless of education, flight time or international expierence. I understand that I might be losing the job to a guy that "fits" better, but I find it hard to believe that is the case when all three are typed and have a weaker resume. It's unfortunate, but it's life I suppose. I just wish that when you interviewed that they would be upfront as to their hiring practices as opposed to getting sunshine blown up your a**. Wishful thinking I suppose. Any ideas about what I could change? Thanks in advance....
Corp

well..what are they supposed to tell you? Its far easier to say "we went with someone with Gulfstream time, thank you" than it is "a few people thought you came across as a pompous jackass"...(not that this is the case)

If you honestly think that they hired another guy because of the rating you have a lot of work to do. I'd also love to hear what you consider a "weaker resume"

People hire the whole package, not the flight time, ratings, education, Intl time, or any other specific thing. You got the interview, you had a fair shot at the job - likely as fair as anyone else there. Who knows why they picked who they did. Having done plenty of hiring I can tell you its not a very planned out silver bullet thing....yes guys get the interview from contacts etc...but its all on the individual after that.

In all due respect, be careful about blaming others and take a serious look at how you may have rubbed some people wrong (or didn't show your strengths?) as compared to the "weaker" candidates and work on that for your next interview.

Also keep in mind its a pretty competitive market out there - concentrate on pushing on. Target places where you think you really want to work, and keep in touch with them until they tell you not to. Persistence goes further than most think.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
The easiest person to hire always has the advantage. The guy that is out of work and can start tomorrow because he's current in type will win over the guy that needs to give two weeks notice and go to school for 3 weeks.

Keep at it, sooner or later you'll be the guy that's easiest to hire.

The easiest person to hire always has the advantage. The guy that is out of work and can start tomorrow because he's current in type will win over the guy that needs to give two weeks notice and go to school for 3 weeks.

Keep at it, sooner or later you'll be the guy that's easiest to hire.

More often you are fine to go to school and by the time school was done the company BS was mostly complete and off you go...

Most Fortune 50 departments cant even get you processed/trained as an employee in 2 weeks, nevermind out flying the line tomorrow..

Background checks, drug screens, a few days of company training, Intl Procedures, ID's, credit cards, paperwork...its often endless and you are now just another employee number in the big machine.

Last edited:
The funny part was that the only reason I ever stepped foot on their property was because of networking. I knew full well that I am not the most qualified by any means. I apologize if it came off that way. 2 out of the 3 hired the pilot with the type and around 2000TT and ZERO PIC. Just surprising, that's all. Thank you for your input. It's all a learning process, whatever your age/expierence.......

The funny part was that the only reason I ever stepped foot on their property was because of networking. I knew full well that I am not the most qualified by any means. I apologize if it came off that way. 2 out of the 3 hired the pilot with the type and around 2000TT and ZERO PIC. Just surprising, that's all. Thank you for your input. It's all a learning process, whatever your age/expierence.......

You'll do just fine. Good attitude and being a stand up person is what employers, and co workers, want.

Keep in mind what ksu_aviator said above. He speaks the truth.

I feel your pain. On 9/15/2011 I stood in the unemployment line for the first time. I had a kid to feed and Midways Airlines was gone...

Keep your chin up, dust off your boots and go back out there. Aviation is unlike other professions, its a strange world. Work the crowds, and show them you want to work. And never be too proud to take a temporary gig. I went back to a single engine freight job for a few months after 9/11.

Best wishes, be yourself and you will find a job that is looking for you.

Wolf

2000TT? I agree, that is surprising....unless very desperate to check the HR boxes.

;)

Total time can be lived with if somewhat low, but I'd not hire anyone unless they had SOME real PIC time.

More often you are fine to go to school and by the time school was done the company BS was mostly complete and off you go...

Most Fortune 50 departments cant even get you processed/trained as an employee in 2 weeks, nevermind out flying the line tomorrow..

Background checks, drug screens, a few days of company training, Intl Procedures, ID's, credit cards, paperwork...its often endless and you are now just another employee number in the big machine.

I was illustrating my point by taking it to the extreme.

Latest resources

Back