Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pot Pourri here...eeh!

A little bit of everything, I guess.

It is amazing how tragedy will bring the bretheren together just so that they can tear it apart again.

Though necessary, championing of TORT reform is misplace in this thread.

I will say, however, ONLY one Candidate on the Ticket for Pres has promised addressing this issue if RE-elected. There was a time when a great degree of proof that management/ownership SIGNIFICANTLY contributed negligently to a mishap in aviation prior to filing papers in pursuit of damages (ie loss of loved-ones and/or property). We need to go back to that time for our lively hoods and those that depend on that transportation service (Corpex) in those areas others can't or are not willing to go.

Attorneys are necessary to expeditiously file necessary claims on behalf of families dependant on the loss of income from their family who may have parished in these accidents. THAT IS RIGHT.

A - C - C - I - D - E - N - T - S

Every passenger on every airplane flown for hire is covered by a $75,000 policy. If your loved one is traveling for business, the company insurance will always have a policy for employees of some coverage. Many retirement accounts are tied up and an Attorney is a definate necessity to navigate the legal road map gathering the professional PROBATE assistance neededd to minimize the disruption of income and exposure to a very grievous process.

Submittal of prophecy regarding the demise of parties involved in this unfortunate event is purely a waste of time and terrible bedside manner given there has yet been 24 hours since this accident occurred. Some one carefully pointed out operators still in existance who themselves were called upon and met the undesireable challange of managing mishaps like these. Leave the speculation the PROFESSIONALS at the NTSB.

What is God Speed? And what does it do? I have never understood this and am just curious. The Word of God says that He will never leave us nor foresake us. He knows the numbers of the hairs on our head, when we are hurt and troubled. We have all fallen short of the glory of God and His presence, Yet NOTHING seperates us from the power of his Love. Is it like he was busy doing something else and didn't stop this tragedy from occurring? I don't pretend to know how or why these things happen. The lives that have been touched by these people that are no longer with us and the memories that they will keep can ONLY be known by God. Why did Christopher Reeve not die the day he fell off his horse and instead live many years longer? How are there two lives from this accident hanging in the balance? Someone quoted Job here and I must carry this torch further. In all the trouble and loss suffered by Job, he never cursed God, complained or pretended to know why he suffered so. He simply pressed on, never allowing his faith and love for God to fein. He had a ministry of triumph in all that he perservered. So, too, do these survivors of the crash and the surviving family members of the casualties. This is all bigger than any of us and once we realize that, it makes our miniscule point of speculation seem so small, it is barely worth mentioning. Our job in these situations ( if we step up to the task) is to lift the memories of these people up so that they are celebrated and not mourned. We must lift up the lives of the survivors for their fortune will be paved with great reconstruction of their faculties and rehabilitation of their physical and emotional well being. The families need our prayers and not our good intentions or 'nice' condolences. There is power in prayer and tremendous power when we are in agreement and not scattered about. There is no I in team and yes, Schilling was very good last night and his stuff was also very good. He still needed 8 men on the field to hold the infidel yanks to only 2 runs. Certainly, he needed 4 of his compatriots to do their part and get on base to score those runs that brought them the victory. The families of the loved ones are now pitching the hardest and best games of their lives and they are counting on us to score some runs for them. Step up.

Father,
we come to you now, humbly standing together as bretheren and in faith that you are the mighty and powerful God that you say you are. We thank you for the people you have blessed us to be with and though we will miss them and their presence, we have a lifetime of fond memories of birthdays, jokes and experiences we have shared that can never be taken away and the blessed assurance we will again one day stand face to face with them and in your glorious presence. Lord, we call on you and the holy spirit to form a hedge of protection around the hospitals and care units where these two people are fighting for their lives. Be with them and their families now, take them in your arms of wonderful comfort and peace knowing you are at work and their physical and emotional healing is in store. Give all of them a testimony to your goodness as this event is not at your hand. It is the devil who roams about roaring as a lion, seeking whom he may devour. Most of all, Lord, help the members of the NTSB as they search out the cause of this and other very recent investigations. Lord, give them the strength they need and the clarity of thought. Reveal to them what they need to see and help them quickly find the error chains and how to prevent future failures. Lord if it be of terrorism, STOP IT NOW! IN JESUS NAME! Your word says NO weapon formed against us shall prosper. Lord we have seen what the enemy is capable of and how they will stop at nothing to see this holy and consecrated land we built on your word and in your blessing, to be destroyed and wiped cleanly from the face of the earth. You are Great and Mighty and we will never again sleep in our excess while this enemy violently takes 3,000 of our loved ones from us. We give you all the glory and the honor and praise in all that you do in love of and for us. Your word declares it. We believe it. And Surely It Is So!

And all the brothers and sisters, say,
AMEN.

What type of approach??

Doea anyone know what runway they were trying to land on? Also, what approaches serve that runway? From the sounds of NBC news it must have been a non-precision.
Does anyone know if they have posted the crews names?

I flew for a small regional that served IRK a few years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with the airport. The plane was flying the approach to 36. The only approach to that runway is a LOC-DME with minimum descent of around 400. When I was flying in regularly (about 3 years ago) they actually raised the mins by like 70 feet because of trees or a tower (don't really remember). I've talked with friends from the area and the wreckage seems to be about 1.5 - 2 miles south of the airport on the LOC. That's inside the OM by 2+ miles.

100 1/2, great, you have faith and I respect that. However, save your dragged out religious essays (or was that a prayer) for yourself, or the Oral Roberts forum. This is an aviation forum! Feel for these people who have perished and those who knew them, but don't force your prayer on others -- that's what church is for.

Sorry, Corpex guys and gals, my best wishes.

BSkin

If someone wants to express their religious conviction whether it is as short as one word or as many as the posted prayer in this forum, they have as much a right to do that as apparently you have to have an avatar that shows nudity. Just a little hypocritical aren't you?

For you lawyers it was full of doctors!

Posted on Wed, Oct. 20, 2004_krdDartInc++;document.write('');
spacer.gif

13 killed in crash of commuter plane in Missouri

spacer.gif

[size=-1]MATT SEDENSKY[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Associated Press[/size]
spacer.gif

KIRKSVILLE, Mo. - A search for five missing passengers ended Wednesday after officials recovered their bodies in the wreckage of a commuter plane that crashed and burned as it carried doctors and other medical professionals to a conference. While 13 people died, two others escaped with little more than broken bones.

"It was remarkable," said National Transportation Safety Board member Carol Carmody of the survivors.

The plane had taken off from St. Louis and went down Tuesday night with 15 people aboard as it came in for a landing in Kirksville, a city of about 17,000.

Carmody didn't release the identities of those who died in the crash, although some have been identified by family members and employers.

Authorities called it a miracle that anyone managed to survive the crash of the Jetstream 32, a 19-seat twin-engine turboprop flown by Corporate Airlines.

Rescuers found the plane's fuselage in flames, with one of its wings broken off. Most of the debris was found in compact area of about 40-by-60 feet, Carmody said.

Rescuers found the plane's fuselage in flames, with one of its wings broken off. Other debris, including the tail, was scattered over an area more than a half-mile wide, but Carmody said most of the debris was found in compact area of about 40-by-60 feet.

The two survivors, a 44-year-old woman and a 68-year-old man, suffered only broken bones and some burns, and were in fair condition Wednesday.

"We see car accidents with worse injuries coming in here every week," said Dr. Charles Zeman, director of trauma services at Northeast Regional Medical Center. "This is truly a miracle."

The cause of the crash was not immediately known, although Carmody said the NTSB expected to get an initial reading from the plane's two flight data recorders on Thursday.

"The black boxes are very important to the investigation, provided they're in good condition," said NTSB member Carol Carmody. "These looked like they were. We never know until we read them out."

The crew's last communication indicated the plane was on a normal approach to the airport, with no mention of any problems, said Elizabeth Isham Cory, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman.

The Kirksville airport does not have an instrument landing system, or ILS, a valuable tool for pilots as they attempt to land in poor weather, said Randy Smith, a general aviation pilot who is president of the Kirksville Pilots Association. An ILS provides pilots with both horizontal and vertical guidance as they approach a runway; the Kirksville airport only has a system providing horizontal guides.

Weather conditions at the time of the crash were overcast with misting and some thunderstorms in the area, according to an FAA weather observation system. There was a cloud ceiling Tuesday night of between 500 and 600 feet, which is within the minimum requirements for attempting to land at the airport, Smith said.

The plane clipped treetops before crashing on private property in a wooded area between two fields. Some of the victims were found dead in their seats. The woman who survived was walking around when rescuers arrived, and the man was found in brush about 25 feet from the fuselage, Chief Sheriff's Deputy Larry Logston said.

The focused debris field is about 100 feet from those treetops, Carmody said.

Many of the passengers were on their way to a Wednesday conference on humanism in medicine, said Philip Slocum, dean and vice president for medical affairs at the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. Two were from the New Jersey-based Arnold P. Gold Foundation, said Barbara Packer, the foundation's managing director.

"As bad as you think it's going to be, it's worse to go through it. There's been a lot of tears. It's very painful," Slocum said.

The airline and investigators declined to release the names of anyone on board. But some family members and employers said Wednesday their loved ones or co-workers were passengers.

In New York, the office of Dr. Steve Z. Miller, director of pediatric emergency medicine at the Columbia University medical school, said he was one of the passengers.

"A lot of people in our class are very close to him," said Josiah Ambrose, a fourth-year medical student. "He has a lot of interaction with the students here because he's very loved. He was a pretty pivotal part of our medical school."

Also on the plane was Dr. Richard Sarkin, 54, who was affiliated with Women and Children's Hospital in Buffalo, N.Y., and was an associate professor of clinical pediatrics and the director of pediatric medical student education at the University at Buffalo. Kaleida Health spokesman Michael Hughes said Sarkin was aboard the flight.

Among the dead is a Dallas-area photographer, Paul Talley, 44, of Mesquite, Texas, said Pastor Charles Wilson of the First Baptist Church in Sunnyvale, Texas. Talley's wife, Alicia, authorized her minister to confirm her husband's death.

A family friend and neighbor identified Clark Ator, 39, of Alpine, Utah, as one of the victims. McKay Pearson, 42, said Ator was a father of seven, a family doctor who shared a practice in Pleasant Grove, Utah, and served as bishop of his Mormon church congregation.

One of the two survivors is Dr. John Krogh of Wallsburg, Utah, a part-time faculty member teaching physical therapy at Provo College, the school said.

Corporate Airlines, based in Smyrna, Tenn., began operating in 1996 and is affiliated with American Airlines.

---

Associated Press Writers Sara Kugler in New York and Chris Clark in Salt Lake City contributed to this story.

ON THE NET

What a horrible day indeed! I got a phone call at 1am and was told of the sad news. I feel especially bad since I was one of the interviewers when the captain was hired. I also had the privilege of participating in some of his f/o training and part of his upgrade training. I will always remember him as a very good and a safety oriented pilot and as someone with a great sense of humor. He was great to work with and just plain fun to be around. I understand the first officer hadn’t been at 3c for very long which is probably why I cannot picture him at this time. I’m sure he was a great person as well...

And all of you corpex guys; if y’all still remember him, and I’m sure you do, I got a call from Gary Lyons earlier this morning. Gary remembers Kim very well as someone who did very well in the interview and as someone who was a pleasure to work with. Gary broke down in tears as he was talking to me, and as crazy as it sounds we were almost wishing we hadn’t hired Kim back then because in a way we’d have saved his and maybe a few other lives that way. Of course, it’s all stupid thinking, I realize that, but it’s just so hard to think right now…

May God bless the crew, the passengers and their families. I am certain the crew and the passengers who aren’t with us anymore were “upgraded” to a much better place…

Godspeed my friends…

HomeY :(

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back