Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coporate Pilot selling out needs advice!

• Thread starter The Natural
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

The Natural

I want to know where I'm going to be next week, ya know. Pay is good, QOL sux.

Which regional is best to work for and to commute from hawaii???

A junior west coast base, I guess is what I'm looking for.

A schedule I can make as close to 2wks on and 2wks off, I know thats a dream.

Upgrade time, I dont care at this point.

Those are some tough requirements to fullfill. If you're looking to commute from hawaii, I'm sure you've looked into Island Air. Otherwise, SkyWest is a good regional and has a lot of bases out on the west coast, as well as Denver and Salt Lake City. Horizon has bases on the west coast and they are also a good regional to consider. At Skywest, most of the west coast bases are pretty senior, except for Fresno, but then you'd have to drive/fly to SFO to get back to Hawaii.

As far as your 2wks on 2 wks off, that's tough unless the regional has Preferential Bidding System. That's your best bet in getting this kind of schedule. Otherwise you're looking mostly at 4 on 3 off, which will make your commute tough.

Can you afford the $18,000 first year pay at a regional when you're getting paid good at your corp. job?

-W

ilkwamh2 said:
Those are some tough requirements to fullfill. If you're looking to commute from hawaii, I'm sure you've looked into Island Air. Otherwise, SkyWest is a good regional and has a lot of bases out on the west coast, as well as Denver and Salt Lake City. Horizon has bases on the west coast and they are also a good regional to consider. At Skywest, most of the west coast bases are pretty senior, except for Fresno, but then you'd have to drive/fly to SFO to get back to Hawaii.

As far as your 2wks on 2 wks off, that's tough unless the regional has Preferential Bidding System. That's your best bet in getting this kind of schedule. Otherwise you're looking mostly at 4 on 3 off, which will make your commute tough.

Can you afford the $18,000 first year pay at a regional when you're getting paid good at your corp. job?

-W

I'm a young turbo-prop capt w/ a shuga momma, I wont like it but, I'll survive it. I thought first year pay was around 23k?

I got a buddy that works at expressjet who's telling me that he's probably going to make around 90K in 3-4 years. I thinks he's lying. He just started 8mo ago.

He's the kinda guy that if you told him you had sex with 100 girls he did 101. You got herpes he has hiv. etc.

anyways, 4 on 3 off wont be a fun commute from hawaii.

thanks,
TN

I want to know where I'm going to be next week, ya know. Pay is good, QOL sux.

If you think your QOL sucks now, you definitely don't want to commute from Hawaii. What kind of schedule do you fly now? If you really don't want to commute, look into Island Air. There is a post on here about them, I'm sure you can find out a lot. And I think you are home almost every night with them.

-W

Island Hopper

I'd Stay put where you are. Commuting from Hawaii?? Your life would be miserable. Honestly!! I wish I could move out to Hawaii and just fly props back and forth from island to island. I think that would be the life, just as long as the company would pay you enough to live on. We have an FO at our company that commutes back and forth to Hawaii from Minneapolis. It's a direct flight, but it's like 16 hrs. or something crazy!!! That's 2 days you'll spend just commuting!!! I'm lucky if I get 3 or 4 days off in a row! Goodluck!

Commuting from Hawaii to the mainland is a royal pain in the a$s. Let me tell you from first hand experience. The flights are full a lot of the time, and during spring break, x-mas break, etc. you will not be able to get out. I have commuted for the last year from Honolulu to various bases on the mainland working a week on week off schedule. I could not imagine a 4 on 3 off, or even a 3 on 4 off. Either way, good luck. Look into WP. Pay sucks, but you're home every night.

The Natural said:
I thought first year pay was around 23k?

I got a buddy that works at expressjet who's telling me that he's probably going to make around 90K in 3-4 years. I thinks he's lying. He just started 8mo ago.

If you fly a lot, and with the per diem included you might hit 23K for the first year. You can forget about getting two weeks on, two weeks off though.

And your buddy is lying through his teeth, or doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. He'll make 90K/year about 15 years from now at ExpressJet.

Some Eagle guys based in LAX live in Hawaii. Little easier to ride with Cass than working for a regional without it. You could ride up front on UAL and AA out of OGG, KOA, LIH, HNL. J/S would suck but I've ridden it from MIA to LAX and if it's the only seat...

mdanno808 said:
Commuting from Hawaii to the mainland is a royal pain in the a$s. Let me tell you from first hand experience. The flights are full a lot of the time, and during spring break, x-mas break, etc. you will not be able to get out. I have commuted for the last year from Honolulu to various bases on the mainland working a week on week off schedule. I could not imagine a 4 on 3 off, or even a 3 on 4 off. Either way, good luck. Look into WP. Pay sucks, but you're home every night.

You guys are confirming what I thought.

What is WP???

Latest resources

Back