• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cool controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the most past, I am partial to Atlanta center. I have had the opportunity to take a tour of the center in Hampton and sit down at a console. These guys and gals are sharp. My hope is that as the controllers we have grown to enjoy retire, they will pass along their sense of humor to their followers. There is nothing like flying along at night and a lttle tired and hear some of the cracks they can come up with. As to sexy voices, there is a controller at Denver and one at Memphis that can make you trip on your tounge.

English said:
What controllers have you been talking to? I also work in Hawaii, and those guys are about as laid-back as one can get.
Most of them are, but there's one HNL controller who needs to go work at Lihue tower or something...he's easily overloaded and becomes a prick as soon as things get the least bit tricky. One day we were approaching 8L at Lima and he said something that made no sense to me or my partner and so we said "say again..." He got all pissed and told us we'd just have to wait. When he finally cleared us to takeoff, at about 40 knots he tells us something like "get your act together, xxx" That's when it went from being perplexing to just plain funny. He's usually there in the afternoons, just when things start to pick up! Then there's the high-talker....great guy till you call him ma'am.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Most of them are, but there's one HNL controller who needs to go work at Lihue tower or something...he's easily overloaded and becomes a prick as soon as things get the least bit tricky. One day we were approaching 8L at Lima and he said something that made no sense to me or my partner and so we said "say again..." He got all pissed and told us we'd just have to wait. When he finally cleared us to takeoff, at about 40 knots he tells us something like "get your act together, xxx" That's when it went from being perplexing to just plain funny. He's usually there in the afternoons, just when things start to pick up! Then there's the high-talker....great guy till you call him ma'am.
That might explain it - I always works AMs.

Oh, and the high talker...I almost did the same thing until my captain explained the controller's choice of sexuality to me...D'oh!

Buzz in Atl is the best. No matter the weather, congestion, or time of day, he is always in an amazing mood. It's a direct contrast to the guy in ATL tower who sounds like he is being sarcastic and grumpy.

wildbill said:
. As to sexy voices, there is a controller at Denver
Check!

I check in with her every Sunday morning (0600)! She always makes me wonder what she looks like.. This last time she asked me to contact her at 128.** and my response to that was: “Wouldn’t it be easier if I just call you on your cell?” She chuckled a few time on that one..

The folks down at KPUB are also always great by the way!

FD

...I agree 100% that you must hear the magic words "cleared into the class bravo."
Unless you hear the words "cleared as requested", instead (which is an acceptable alternative, as specified in the 7110.65).

Flibmeister said:
Unless you hear the words "cleared as requested", instead (which is an acceptable alternative, as specified in the 7110.65).
I'll agree to that. But an "affirmative" doesn't cut it for me.

Maybe y'all "professional pilots" can handle that, but all the controler has to do is lose separation and there was no "cleared..." on tape...yep its on you bud...that'll ruin your day

MHO.

-mini

minitour said:
I'll agree to that. But an "affirmative" doesn't cut it for me.
That's what I was thinking...especially without saying my tail number and having about 5-8 other aircraft on frequency.

minitour said:
...all the controller has to do is lose separation and there was no "cleared..." on tape...yep its on you bud...
Actually, no. If the supervisor investigating such a loss of separation finds that the controller clearly intended for you to be where you were, he couldn't care less about whether there's a "cleared..." on the tape-- heck, he probably wouldn't even notice it.

In my 25 year ATC career, almost all pilot violations that went to FSDO (or GADO, or ACDO) were extremely solid ones that also caused a loss of separation-- altitude busts, etc. It's a lot easier to just write up the controller than to convince a FSDO inspector to pursue a case against a pilot who was doing exactly what he was told to do-- particularly if the controller used improper phraseology to tell him!

That said, I agree that "affirmative", without a call sign, was insufficient and required further confirmation.

Ptk

Is there still a guy there that puts out a funny voiced ATIS? I remember as a student my instructor always pointed it out and got a kick out of it.....I was concentrating too hard on getting all the numbers to listen all that closely.......

Latest resources

Back