Cool controllers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GAcfi said:
Unfortunately, they don't hire many cool controllers for Atlanta, only those that want the big bucks since their pay is based on operations, and they are not willing to work with you. Airliners only!
I was just in Georgia for a few weeks and did some flying there.

One day, I did 5.3 hours of XC with VFR flight following (ATL CTR, MCN APPR, JAX APPR) all day long.

I was *blown away* at how friendly, helpful, patient, courteous and professional all of the controllers, FSS briefers and other pilots were...everywhere I went!

I live/fly in Hawaii and even with about 1/2 the workload of the guys I was on the air with in Ga, the HI controllers are just perpetually stressed out and take it out on the pilots.

johnpeace said:
I live/fly in Hawaii and even with about 1/2 the workload of the guys I was on the air with in Ga, the HI controllers are just perpetually stressed out and take it out on the pilots.
What controllers have you been talking to? I also work in Hawaii, and those guys are about as laid-back as one can get. That's a very perplexing statement you make. I've have really good interaction with the HI controllers, a conversation every now and then - always very very helpful friendly and professional.

You want uptight? Go fly the East Coast for a while...

The female pilots at KAUS say there is a controller they call "Mr Cool" who has what to them is a very sexy voice. One even wrote a long song dedicated to him, things like "when he says tango my heart wants to dance" and stuff.

One pilot (I"m talking about a very experienced mature businesswoman, not some flightly teenager) told me that before the computer system came in she used to call the ATIS phone all the time just in the hope to hear his voice.

The KAUS controllers are fine, but for the life of me not a one has made my heart want to dance.

FN FAL said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rodger from CHI Center. He literally brightens up the sector when he is on...he'll be sorely missed when he pulls the pin and retires. Plus, he flies, is an airplane owner and is an aviation enthusiast...a great plus in my book regarding controllers.

FN...you talking about Roger P.? If so, he is a great guy. I used to fly out of Western WI and every time he was working that sector he'd come back "Good Morning..company name...My but aren't you guys looking fit this morning!" The guy would run circles around the center if it meant getting us direct somewhere. One of the last times I talked to him we were east bound, 615AM, sun just starting to come up when a bright light went hauling a$$ over the top of us. I gave him a call and asked if traffic had just passed over us. Of course, in his witty tone..."nope, would'ya like to report something?" Slightly embarassed by how I phrased my question in the wee hours of the morning, I politely declined. About five minutes later he comes back saying he called some space wizard at the radio station (WLS??) and found out what we had just seen was the space shuttle going over. The next morning we checked on and he said "In about five minutes, if you're on top, you'll probably see Mir going by." Sure enough, right on time.

I miss that guy and his type on the frequency. They seem few and far between anymore.

2000Flyer

In ANC we have some great controllers. One in particular, he seems to have perpetually gotten up on the right side of the bed, always upbeat and relaxed. I heard he did some radio commercials.

New York CENTER has some great controllers. While doing some aero-mapping over ewr aera they bascially where very helpfull and funny. Great Bunch of people. Is it me, or there is a controller that sounds like Mr. G (local weather guy in NYC)? Anyways he is really cool.

English said:
What controllers have you been talking to? I also work in Hawaii, and those guys are about as laid-back as one can get. That's a very perplexing statement you make. I've have really good interaction with the HI controllers, a conversation every now and then - always very very helpful friendly and professional.

You want uptight? Go fly the East Coast for a while...
Huh...weird. Maybe it's GA pilots they have an attitude with.

On my XC into Class B to HNL when I was a student pilot, HNL CTR assigned me (student, VFR pilot) a published IFR approach procedure when giving me my clearance into the bravo. I had no idea what he was talking about he spoke so fast, so I just flew toward Barber's point from NORBY like I'd done with my instructor...then he barks at me for being 10deg off of a heading he hadn't assigned me, that I didn't know anything about.

When I got home, we called and they told me it's in the AFD (not the state airport guide that they tell GA pilots to use).

I guess I should have asked for clarification, but thought it was sort of an a$$hole maneuver on the part of the controller. I've never heard any of them use that procedure or anything like it since then.

Another time HNL APPR just refused to say 'cleared into the bravo':

me: 'hnl approach cessna 7332 lima 2000' 3 miles east of NORBI inbound. Request offshore vectors to full stop'

them: '7332 Lima turn left heading 165 descend and maintain 1500'

me: '7332 Lima left to 165, maintain 1500...am I cleared into the bravo?'

them: 'affirmative'

me: (wtf? is he even talking to me? I don't want to bust the bravo...) 'HNL approach, 7332 Lima requests confirmation of clearance into teh bravo'

them: 'what part of affirmative don't you understand?'

Nice.

Last week I flew OGG->LUP on SUnday. The hangar's closed...no phone. I filed a flight plan on FSS freq. I was fast. The guy reprimanded me for usign the frequency instead of the phone.

Seems like everyone I talk to in Hawaii has more attitude than anyone I talked to in Georgia...

I'm sure the east coast yankee controllers are a nightmare.

That's not attitude, johnpeace...that's just a controller's frustration with having to deal with an inexperienced pilot in Class B airspace.

In all three instances you cited, you were the problem, not the controller.

In the first instance, you admit that you couldn't tell what the controller assigned to you, so, instead of querying him, you just flew whatever you wanted.

In the second instance, the controller clearly gave you a clearance into the class B. What's the problem?

In the last example, you filed a flight plan over the radio instead of by phone, tying up the frequency.

Sure, they could have held your hand a little bit more, but with all the international traffic, the controllers expect you'll do certain things. I'm surprised your intructor hasn't covered more of this with you.

Once you get more experience and learn how to fit into the system, I'm sure you'll find things much more easy-going.

Last edited:
I'm doing pretty well in the system.

Sure, I'm 'at fault' in all 3 instances.

In the first instance, why is the controller assigning a IFR procedure to a VFR student pilot? Wouldn't radar vectors be a little more user friendly? I should have asked for clarification, sure...but would *you* do what that guy did? I wouldnt'.

In the 2nd instance, re-read the exchange. When he 'cleared me' it was by saying 'affirmative' with no tail number. I wasn't willing to risk busting the bravo by assuming he was talking to me...easy as that would be. He and I both know 'you are cleared into the bravo' are the words I am wanting to hear...why didn't he just say it?

In the 3rd instance. The FSS guy on a sunday afternoon can't copy from the radio for 20 seconds? I know we're supposed to avoid tying up the freq when possible by using the phone, but like I said, hangar was closed...no phone...what else am I supposed to do? Get in my car and drive to Costco to use the phone? He even said when giving me **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** 'use the phone whenever possible'..well, yeah. I know. You can assume then, Mr. FSS Briefer, that if I'm doing this on the radio it's because usign the phone was NOT possible.

So, when I was in ATL, I noticed that FSS briefers and controllers were WAY more patient and easygoing than they are here. I heard student pilots totally screwing up all their radio calls and the busy ATL CTR guys were real patient and cooperative with them. Briefers were friendly and helpful rather than just adherent to the standards...for instance, when giving winds aloft, they offered that it looked better at a higher altitude than I'd requested. HI FSS *never* offers anything...just curtly provide exactly what I ask for, no more, no less.

Just my subjective opinions. Maybe part of it is that I started developing this opinion while I was a brand new student and didn't begin shaping opinion of ATL controllers until I had a little more experience and confidence.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back