• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

180ToTheMarker

12 months of October
Reported By: Bill Liss
Web Editor: Michael King
Last Modified: 1/17/2007 10:46:18 PM

AirTran Using Cookies in Takeover Attempt
An unusual twist in discounter AirTran’s hostile takeover bid for Midwest Airlines.

For AirTran, the deal means $345 million in cash and stock, but for passengers of Milwaukee-based Midwest, it means perks they say have earned the small airline a reputation for over-the-top customer service.

Among the perks -- freshly baked chocolate chip cookies for every passenger. But now, a group of Midwest shareholders, fearing the loss of the famous chocolate chip cookies, are launching a grass-roots effort to stop the takeover attempt.

How does AirTran fight back? Add marketing panache to the dollars and stock. It will be a first.

“We’re going to go to a Hallmark bakery in Milwaukee, and take these chocolate chip cookies, and put them on all of our flights, and give the chocolate chip cookies to all of our customers,” said AirTran marketing vice-president Tad Hutcheson.

Between AirTran and Midwest, that’s more than 65,000 cookies a day.

But will these cookies be warm...or cold? That's the question.

The customers want warm. You listening management? Give the customers what they want.

Man, i should buy some stock on the flour industry! That's a lot of obese kids in a few years if they keep this up.. They'll probably start to put threadmill in the planes too when the FDA finds this out.

Reported By: Bill Liss
Web Editor: Michael King
Last Modified: 1/17/2007 10:46:18 PM

AirTran Using Cookies in Takeover Attempt
An unusual twist in discounter AirTran’s hostile takeover bid for Midwest Airlines.

For AirTran, the deal means $345 million in cash and stock, but for passengers of Milwaukee-based Midwest, it means perks they say have earned the small airline a reputation for over-the-top customer service.

Among the perks -- freshly baked chocolate chip cookies for every passenger. But now, a group of Midwest shareholders, fearing the loss of the famous chocolate chip cookies, are launching a grass-roots effort to stop the takeover attempt.

How does AirTran fight back? Add marketing panache to the dollars and stock. It will be a first.

“We’re going to go to a Hallmark bakery in Milwaukee, and take these chocolate chip cookies, and put them on all of our flights, and give the chocolate chip cookies to all of our customers,” said AirTran marketing vice-president Tad Hutcheson.

Between AirTran and Midwest, that’s more than 65,000 cookies a day.

This just shows what lazy and classless Americans want. Cheap tickets and warm cookies to clog their arteries and super-size their butt cheeks.

I always though cookies were a stunt at best. Who knew -- besides the MBAs -- that cookies were a business plan. D@mn those MBAs are smart. :rolleyes:

Good thing us dimwitted pilots don't have to do any of the heavy lifting around here like figuring out how to give away cookies.

I don't know about buying stock in flour, but I think I'll buy some in the company that makes the hiney horn and seat belt extenders.

Latest resources

Back