Contract Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shamus said:
I don't know why everyone doesn't think it can be done, I said before that you have to work really hard to earn that much money, its possible. It just seems like no one else thinks it is possible because there not making that much money.
Please go back and read my previous post. The numbers you quoted ($350/day or $75/hr) don't add up. You said the guy flies 800hrs/year. I still can't figure out how that adds up to $100K.

24.3hrs over three days in a Lear sounds like a nightmare. I don't think anyone is envying your captain's job.

FWIW-I wish you two made a lot more $$$ for all the flying you do. But you get what you accept.

Shamus said:
My last 3 days of flying were all with this one contract captian. Wed: Ft Lauderdale(KFXE) to Aruba to Boston and back to KFXE = 9.5 hr Thur: (KFXE) to St Lucia, to Miami to (KFXE) = 7.5 Fri: (KFXE) to San Juan to Orlando back to (KFXE)= 7.3 total of 24.3 hours equals almost $2000 in three days.
Shamus please don't end up like the SIC in this incident:
http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/aviation/4954.PDF

The reason I bring this NTSB judgment to your attention is because I knew the PIC on that flight. Jack Montieff (sp) is one of those 20,000 hour Lear captains that "knew Bill Lear and helped design it":rolleyes: . The reason I knew him is because the owner of the 135 company I was working for was asking why I wasn't using this "well known contract guy", well the reason I wasn't using him is because he had just served a 60 day suspension of his ATP certificate for violating duty times. See he would fly for 1 company in the morning keeping a duty log, then fly for another company at night on supposed 91 air ambulance flights.

Old Jack made a lot of money that year, he did it by bending the rules. The problem is that he was endangering his passengers, and getting his copilots violated or worse (RIP, Julia).

If you were typed in a Gulfstream and flew 10 days a month you could make $100,000 easy.If you have the connections.I guess thats why people like bumming in the reserves.

A couple of big 'ifs'. Those speaking from experience, good and bad, have the scoop. All the Pt. 91 Gulfstream drivers I know work less than their contract brethren, make a lot more, and sleep soundly at night.

Good job on those math gaffes! :cool:

FlierDude said:
A couple of big 'ifs'. Those speaking from experience, good and bad, have the scoop. All the Pt. 91 Gulfstream drivers I know work less than their contract brethren, make a lot more, and sleep soundly at night.

Good job on those math gaffes! :cool:
Don't listen to PSYSICS, he's not even a pilot and now he's giving advise on how much G drivers are making.

psysicx said:
If you were typed in a Gulfstream and flew 10 days a month you could make $100,000 easy.If you have the connections.I guess thats why people like bumming in the reserves.

Oh yeah?

10 days/month at say 1000/day -- 120K/yr.

throw in taxes, training, benefits - you are lucky to make 70K/yr.

now throw in the loss of matching 401ks, stock options, bonuses, etc...you are lucky to make 50K....

contract flying may be a pretty easy way for a hustler to make a few extra bucks, but to make a living its HARD work - to make 100K+ certainly is not "EASY"...

psysicx - whats your deal? did you eat a lotta paint as a kid?

:confused:

135fr8r said:
This is a question for all contract pilots. How did you get started, and or gain clients to work contract on a full time basis. I currently have a full time gig, but the pay isn't great, plus I have the opportunity to do something else full time in which I have always wanted to do. In doing so, I would have to quit my present job, and take a bit of a paycut. I currently have 3 type ratings, and would love to have the option of doing contract work on days off to stay current. Any input would be great.

Thanks
O-line has some good comments to read. Your peepee is on the choping block if you're not a named insurer. (ie you are listed by name on the policy as an insured pilot). This is easy to arrange before you fly w/fax of credentials. If you have gone to school and have time in type, you're set.

Fly safe,
DR beeper

Gulfstream I meant if you didn't worry about stock options,bonues,and 401K.And if your only making $70K a year thats not bad.And I love how people insult me when they know nothing about me.

psysicx said:
Gulfstream I meant if you didn't worry about stock options,bonues,and 401K.And if your only making $70K a year thats not bad.And I love how people insult me when they know nothing about me.

70K/yr "not bad" for a Gulfstream Captain huh?

and yeah, who has to worry about 401ks, bonuses, etc....after all -- who wants to ever retire??

and you wonder why.....

:rolleyes: .

please tell us you are just 11 yrs old and dont know any better..

There is a difference between a Gulfstream Captain flying only contract work.If you read T-1's post he will get retirement through the AF thats what I meant.Plus you could make more income from other contract work.Chance are if you have a Gulfstream type rating you started somewhere else in a smaller aircraft.If you want to make your own schedule and still make decent money its not a bad idea.

There is a difference between a Gulfstream Captain flying only contract work.If you read T-1's post he will get retirement through the AF thats what I meant.Plus you could make more income from other contract work.Chance are if you have a Gulfstream type rating you started somewhere else in a smaller aircraft.If you want to make your own schedule and still make decent money its not a bad idea.

This might sound OK to you (whoever you are), but have you noticed there aren't any G-typed guys backing your suppositions?

Reread all the posts from those who have actually worked as contractors. It's rarely a great way to work in aviation.

It's obvious by your posts you know nothing about it.

Latest resources

Back