Contract Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PlaneStupid said:
(350 per day for a Hawker Captain seems a bit low as well)

?

My point is that if you work your ass off you can make $100K. I saw what he makes, and when your a captian flying almost 800 hrs a year, you should be making $100K. Atleast I hope so.

Shamus said:
My point is that if you work your ass off you can make $100K. I saw what he makes, and when your a captian flying almost 800 hrs a year, you should be making $100K. Atleast I hope so.
That's complete B.S. First of all, $350 per day in a Hawker is PATHETIC for an SIC let alone PIC. If he's working for that amount something's wrong. As for the $100K, give me a break. If he flew 5 days per week, 52 weeks out of the year (5x52x$350) that would be $91K. That's if he FLEW all those days, not the $250 per day for "standby". At his "hourly" rate of $75 he would have to fly 1333hrs. to make $100K.

This sounds like one of those captains that has "15,000hrs", brags about making the big $$$ and reminds you every half-hour that he's the best pilot you'll ever fly with... but still flies PT.135 Lears.

Shamus

HMR hit the nail on the head (5x52x350). No wonder Shamus quotes $350 per day for Hawker PIC. Is it any wonder why he hasn't run outta fuel yet?

I am always amazed at the nay sayers that come out of the woods to say you can't do this, or that he is full of it. I have probably said too much already. I just wanted to give my two cents... Everything I wrote is true... I don't have to blow smoke to make my point. I don't want to post on this board my specifics but you can make a very good living the way I approach aviation...

T-1Guy is not incorrect, IF you are in his situation. In other words, IF you get hired by FSI or SimuFlite, IF you live in a city where they have a facility, IF your wife works and has good insurance, IF you were in the military and are eligible for the guard or reserves... IF ALL of those things are true for you, then you are set.

Otherwise listen to some of the other people on the thread.

In my experience as a contact pilot (which I'm back to doing now, not really by choice), training and health insurance are a big deal. They make it difficult to make any money.

If you want to make it work at all, you need one or more significant clients who will commit to using you frequently, and possibly pay for some or all of your training. Then, it can work out, although I think a good 91 gig is always better.

I have always been taught that you make your own situation happen. I have attained this thru hard work and planning. I am only giving you an example how it has worked for me. I agree that insurance and training are
definitely a stumbling block. I am just letting you know how you can overcome it. PLANESTUPID has seen some of the downfalls of contract flying, and they are out there. I happen to know who not to fly for in the local area. I also make it clear upfront that once I schedule my time that I will be paid whether we fly or not. As far as the 100K gig, PlaneStupid I see that you are typed in a Gulfstream. Did you know the instructors at Simuflite make about 100K a year in the Gulfstream program and only work about 4 days a week. They also earn about $1500 a day contract and all training costs are paid for by Simuflite. Other food for thought... I earned an accounting degree and If I choose can do tax returns while I sit spinning my wheels at the FBO. I also can contract out to write computer programs on my laptop. These
are not included in my $100K a year. I am just giving you ideas how you can overcome and make a good living contract flying, which I believe is what the thread was all about....

T-1GUY said:
I have always been taught that you make your own situation happen. I have attained this thru hard work and planning. I am only giving you an example how it has worked for me. I agree that insurance and training are
definitely a stumbling block. I am just letting you know how you can overcome it. PLANESTUPID has seen some of the downfalls of contract flying, and they are out there. I happen to know who not to fly for in the local area. I also make it clear upfront that once I schedule my time that I will be paid whether we fly or not. As far as the 100K gig, PlaneStupid I see that you are typed in a Gulfstream. Did you know the instructors at Simuflite make about 100K a year in the Gulfstream program and only work about 4 days a week. They also earn about $1500 a day contract and all training costs are paid for by Simuflite. Other food for thought... I earned an accounting degree and If I choose can do tax returns while I sit spinning my wheels at the FBO. I also can contract out to write computer programs on my laptop. These
are not included in my $100K a year. I am just giving you ideas how you can overcome and make a good living contract flying, which I believe is what the thread was all about....
Have you thought about the liability issue? Seems as though you have some assets, congratulations. One of the downfalls of being an ICP is that you often fly with someone you've never met, and fly an airplane you've never been in. God forbid something bad happens, but look at the GIV crash in Palwaukee. The estates of those poor guys got sued.

Are you sure your contract is legal?

Are you sure the person that signs that contract is legally allowed to?

Have you actually seen the airplane's insurance policy, are you allowed to operate the airplane? Is there enough liability coverage?

How's the airplane's MX? Most insurance policies are null and void if you're flying an unairworthy airplane.

Just some things to think about before becoming a contractor.

If you were typed in a Gulfstream and flew 10 days a month you could make $100,000 easy.If you have the connections.I guess thats why people like bumming in the reserves.

My last 3 days of flying were all with this one contract captian. Wed: Ft Lauderdale(KFXE) to Aruba to Boston and back to KFXE = 9.5 hr Thur: (KFXE) to St Lucia, to Miami to (KFXE) = 7.5 Fri: (KFXE) to San Juan to Orlando back to (KFXE)= 7.3 total of 24.3 hours equals almost $2000 in three days.

I don't know why everyone doesn't think it can be done, I said before that you have to work really hard to earn that much money, its possible. It just seems like no one else thinks it is possible because there not making that much money. Hell I know I'm an under paid FO.
Before all you Florida bashers join in, I was making $5K a month flying a BE-90 in FL and we do get to live in FL. (the King Air job is another story, company lost there certificate and with under 2000 total time, I was unisurable to get another King Air job, so I try and justify the pay cut by being 23 yrs. old.) Still sucks though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back