Contract Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

135fr8r

This is a question for all contract pilots. How did you get started, and or gain clients to work contract on a full time basis. I currently have a full time gig, but the pay isn't great, plus I have the opportunity to do something else full time in which I have always wanted to do. In doing so, I would have to quit my present job, and take a bit of a paycut. I currently have 3 type ratings, and would love to have the option of doing contract work on days off to stay current. Any input would be great.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend it. I do it out of necessity, but am looking for a full-time gig. Maybe we should swap? :rolleyes:

You'd have to charge enough to make up for: self-employment tax (15%), healthcare, retirement, recurrent training, all sorts of other expenses. If you have a contract and manage a couple aircraft it's bearable, but not the 'bed-o-roses' it may seem or sound like. The only good thing is you get to turn down marginal people and equipment.

It's a slippery slope, so be careful. Why not just find a better full-time gig?

With your experience level I would not recommend it if you intend to earn a decent living. IMO contract flying is for a. Retired military, b. Retired corporate pilots, c. Gulfstream pilots with G4 and G5 types. Most corporate flight departments require some sort of training within the previous twelve months. Some require aircraft specific training. So unless you are willing to fork over the ten grand for hawker or learjet recurrent training so that you can earn maybe eight grand on your available days off I would say that contract pilot work is not a good investment.

I would recommend Jet Proffessionals. I talked with them while overseas. They seem to be on top of everything. I am doing my first contract flight this weekend. If you have a type in the Lear I know they were looking for pilots in Alabama.

I used to contract myself as an SIC while I was building time and I was sorry that I left that deal once I got to the airline....anyway, I was working between two companies and was paid $200 a day. I was flying every day that I wanted with no overnights and mostly home by 1700-1800 each night. Can't speak for PIC contract and pay, but the SIC wasn't such a bad gig. I am sure if you look around hard enough and find the right people that you can make a nice living as a contract guy.

I fly with a contract captian who makes over $100K a year. He flys almost 5 days a week, but the money is there. He has a Lear and Hawker type rating. He charges $350 a day, or $75 a flight hour which ever is more, and $250 a day for "standby". He usually works for 2 companies, and picks up additional ferry flights and other jobs. W fly ut of Ft. Lauderdale, so I don't know how it compares to the rest of the states. Hope this sheds some light.

OK, I feel that I need to put in my two cents....

Get a full time job at Simuflite or Flight Safety.....

Build a client list out of your sim clients... "Hey, if you ever need anyone feel free to call me...."

Work your ass off at both jobs....Continue to build your clients....

When you are ready, go part time at Simuflite or Flight Safety (Guess who pays for your currency training???)

Insurance can be handled by: your wife's company or your own policy (It only take about one days flying pay to pay the premium every month)

for a kicker, you can join the reserves and fly part time for them. So lets review:

1) I control my schedule
2) I have a pension thru the military
3) I get insurance thru my wife
4) I have a list of clients who pay me 400-500 dollars a day mostly out & backs with the occasional vacation type trips (OK I like to gamble every now and then)
5) Training is paid for by someone else (Some clients have also offered to foot the bill)
6) I have diversity in both where my income comes from and what my job is like.
7) Self employment tax is something to think about, but, you also get a butt load of new tax write offs that can offset the income (Home office, furniture, flight simulator, new headset, etc....)
8) Income that is in the neighborhood of 100K+ while paying very little in taxes.
9) I go home almost every night except when "I CHOOSE" to stay out.
10) Quality of life that most people only dream of in the flying world.......

Will companies pay people to fly out if there are not located in the same state?And don't you have to a couple thousand hours to get on with Flightsaftey or Simuflite?It sounds like a good deal if you have the time.

T-1 Guy and Shamus appear to be blowing some smoke up your tail pipe concerning the income.
- When People tell you how much they earn you can usually divide it by two and come up with an accurate figure. (350 per day for a Hawker Captain seems a bit low as well).
-T-1 guy has a good thing going, but unless you are 27 and under you can forget about the reserve gig.
-If you have a family you won't get a decent health insurance policy for under 450 per month assuming reasonable deductibles, and that will increase about 11 percent per year. (Good news is that all insurance costs can be deducted if you itemize)
-Your schedule is up to you but trips are rescheduled and cancelled frequently.

I hate to sound so negative, but been there and done that as a contract pilot and a good corporate gig beats contract flying anyday.

You can be 30 and still go to UPT.And can you make a living ferrying aircraft?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back