• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Mainline Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm pretty sure that all the PIPs who are going to come to CAL have already been identified, interviewed, offered jobs, and are in/awaiting training. My understanding is that there were 400+ who were eligible, less than 300 who accepted the second offer to interview for a job (the first offer was before 9/11), and 200+ who passed the interview process and were offered jobs and accepted those offers. They have been/are being merged into training classes in clumps of 2 to 5 between now and probably Jan/Feb 06. If this is the case, then new hires are not competing with PIPs anymore at the interview stage. They are "taking up" a 2 to 5 spots per class so that reduces the number of off the street hires, of course. Any XJT pilots interviewing right now are doing so without the benefit of the "Preferential Interview" status, I believe. Someone with more knowledge of this is welcome to correct me on this.

Last edited:
Vote4Pedro said:
scotts, It sounds to me like you are saying that those that work for AE or XJT (and are not in this PIP program) have a lesser chance of getting an interview than those from other sources... am I understanding you correctly? Is this to prevent the major carrier from taking the talent from the regional? Just wondering outloud, haven't heard this sentiment before...

Yea, it's something like that. It's an established fact if you currently fly for XJT you will NOT get an interview and/or job offer with CAL until all of the PIP folks are taken care of. The last of them are expected to go over by next summer. What happens after that is anyones guess, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm not sure of the details of AE's policy. It probably won't matter for AE folks since they are still? taking flowbacks from mainline and it will be a long time before AA does any hiring.

There have been many threads over the years talking about how a regional's mainline partner won't hire them. The exception to this (that I've heard of) is Delta. I have heard of many ASA and Comair pilots going to Delta pre-9/11.

The reasons I've heard are mostly speculation. The most popular theory is that it will result in two training cycles and the associated costs. I don't necessarily agree with that rationale. It would depend on the cost/ownership structure between the regional and the mainline partner.

FWIW...

Last edited:
The quickest way to AA is not through AE. You would think that AA would jump at the chance to hire AE pilots (and CAL XJT). AE procedures attempt to mirror AA procedures. AA also knows exactly what kind of pilot they are getting as the PRIA file given AA is more extensive than the PRIA file given to outside airlines.

In reality AA does not give any preference to , in fact, it sometimes seemed that it hurt you to be from AE. Allegedly, one pilots class date with AA was pushed back because we were short pilots of his position at the time.

The theory that made the most sense to me was money. If they hire say an RJ CA from Eagle, it sets off a long training cycle.

RJ CA- TP CA - RJ FO - TP FO new hire.

4 training cycles at AE plus one (for the new hire) generated at AMR every time they hire an AE pilot.

1 training cycle every time they hire a ComAir (or other) pilot. Why not let Delta incur the four training cycles.

Later,

scotts said:
Yea, it's something like that. It's an established fact if you currently fly for XJT you will NOT get an interview and/or job offer with CAL until all of the PIP folks are taken care of. The last of them are expected to go over by next summer.
wrong on all counts

zerozero said:
Palomino can you elaborate? Please share your wisdom.

Pilots outside the XJT PIP group are currently getting called for interviews at CAL. They will not be given a class date that will make them senior to any PIP group pilot. I think the last group of PIPS goes to CAL in April. Working at XJT is supposed to give us a preferential interview based on the CAL contract of 04 and us losing the FTA. When you fill out the App you have a spot to fill out if you are an XJT person. We don't know if this will really help us or not because we are just starting to see some of us get interviews. We'll have a much better handle on how they are hiring XJT guys come April. In my uneducated opion, you will continue to see newhire classes with half XJT guys and half OTS guys.

Latest resources

Back